6N0711167A rubber seal. All cars with 085 gearbox. They all fail.

mk2

I'm trying to find one. After loads of phone calls, trawling the internet and in person dealership visits, I'm drawing a blank. I've even been to skoda, seat and audi to see if anyone has one on a shelf somewhere. Various places on the internet say they have one, but it's all clickbait. Been there, done that. :(

It's the seal behind the gearbox on the gearshift mechanism.

When the gearstick starts to feel sloppy, chances are that this seal has failed and gunge has got into the mechanism, grinding away the joint. You can still get the internal parts, but there's no point if the outer seal is split allowing grit and dust in.

Every Arosa, Polo and Lupo with a 085 gearbox has one of these rubber boot seals. Each one I've worked on or checked, this seal has split. In fact even after replacing it, it failed again after two years. They don't last. Worth checking your's.

If or when I find a source, I'm buying 5, as they're only about £4 (or were).

IMG_2170.PNG

Some time ago OEM was available for around 15£, but I don't see them available anymore. At least 6N0711135 OEM and aftermarket are still available.

Looks like its not the same, but might be this can be used as replacement.

P.S. Actually there is a little mistake in title, because most of 085 gearboxes does not have cable shifters.

Edited by ObjectiveAway

• 3 weeks later...

I have the very last EVER one left (according to vdub database)! Yay!

Now, I wonder if anyone has any good ideas how we can make a mould from this one without destroying it? I don't need to fit it just yet, so once we have a way of copying it out of silicone or polyurethane rubber, there will be more available for the world (ok, mainly Lupos with 085 gearboxes I'm guessing). I dunno much about mould making. Anyone?

Admire the last one ever...

DSCN5174.jpg

DSCN5179.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

DSCN5177.jpg

DSCN5176.jpg

DSCN5175.jpg

Another club lupo member found it for me in the vdub database (we have spies on the inside...).

The other similar part arrived, but clearly very different, and much bigger. It's going in the bin, unless someone wants it??

DSCN5181.jpg

DSCN5180.jpg

DSCN5182.jpg

DSCN5183.jpg

Nope. Asked everyone. Someone has the original steel mould but I suspect they've probably binned it or ceased business. It's not like there's much demand for it as the market is getting smaller everyday.

But. I now have a mould I've made. It looks perfect, but i need to fill a few tiny pinholes here and there. Then when I get a chance I'll try it with builders silicone rubber (neutral cure type).

👍🏻

I dunno. But I know from various part numbers I've seen, they do reuse a lot of early components in newer cars. I guess vdub engineers ask the question "why reinvent the wheel when we already have a working design?". They literally must have a warehouse with shelves and shelves of a each single part on display that the guys can have a wander around until they find something that is a close match to what they need. Then they'd simply need to slightly alter any new component to work. I did that once upon a time...

I've even seen original old beetle components on the newest vdub cars. But they get clever and occasionally rename or renumber the part, so you can never be 100% sure that it is the exact same thing. In the past I've got away with it by simply changing the first 3 digits of a part number, and it worked! Like lupo usually starts with 6X0, similar Polo parts 6N0, mk4 golf 1J0 and so on. But the last letter, like "A" or "B" at the end of the number can mean it's a completely different design.

This seal we're talking about, I think is unique to the gearbox - gear stick linkage setup only used in some Polos and Lupos.

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, mk2 said:

Nope. Asked everyone. Someone has the original steel mould but I suspect they've probably binned it or ceased business. It's not like there's much demand for it as the market is getting smaller everyday.

But. I now have a mould I've made. It looks perfect, but i need to fill a few tiny pinholes here and there. Then when I get a chance I'll try it with builders silicone rubber (neutral cure type).

👍🏻

hi. any update mold you made ?

thx

Edited by hansschuman
adhd :-)

Yeah I need to try it out with some silicone, polyurethane or EPDM rubber. When I get the time....

It looks good, so if I get the release agent right (I'm going to try liquid beeswax), I think I should be able to make a few copies for Club lupo members before the mould wears out. I'm going to make 3 for me first.

interested people so far:

@mk2 x3

@battlebus x1

@hansschuman x1

I would like to but how...? Then we could CAM a new mould from aluminium/steel.

The inside part of the mould I made with a steel tube and fibre reinforced epoxy resin (chemfix). Very smooth surface.

The two outside halves are made using sand and cement. Very strong but a few tiny air bubbles. I tapped the soft cement a lot to get most of the air out, but there are still some tiny holes. Maybe the beeswax will fill them. You can still see the part number in the cement! 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@C3peteo x1 plus the others.

Ah cr@p, this is turning into a production run thing now. Should have kept my mouth shut and let everyone suffer... 😳

I'm gonna attempt making my first copy later this week. I've got everything ready, but ran out of time today.

It wouldn't be that hard to CAD this, but machining up a decent 2 part tool and plug wouldn't be cheap. Precision CAM facilities charge about £400 an hour. Plus coding and materials. So perhaps £2k which certainly makes it not worth it for the likes of us "hobbyists". I paid £14 for the vdub original old stock part. Much more than that makes it expensive unless someone really is desperate. A plastic bag and a couple of rubber bands would work short term for maybe a few months just to keep rain and grit out?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah, good. I need to make some more. All the ones made I sold... I use black stretchy polyurethane rubber ("stixall" in fact), which takes a few days to cure in the mould. When I get a chance, probably after easter now. A tenner each posted.

At least it's easy enough to swap it without dismantling half the car. And while out, that little ball can be cleaned and regreased with synthetic  'plastic gear' grease. Don't use the normal lithium bearing grease as it's not the right stuff.

I'll post here when I've done a few more. Or give me a kick or bump this thread if I forget... :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I might have a second interested person looking for one of these seals as well over from the Lupo Owners facebook group. Also, I'd be happy to buy a couple if that makes it more worth your while. 🙂