Disco dashboard after washer pump replacement

loopydebs

Hi all, my 2004 Lupo TDI had a blocked washer jet and the washer pump stopped working.

The garage I use replaced the pump with a non genuine pump, still waiting on a new washer head and genuine pump to come from vw.

48 hours later, my dash, radio and interior lights started flashing on and off intermittently and sometimes staying off for minutes at a time when the headlights are on.

The horn works while they’re off. The headlights stay on fine. The Speedo works, the high beam light indicator stays on.

I took it back to the garage I usually use and they said the headlight unit could be sent away but I’m not keen on doing that so I took it to the place that helped when I was concerned about water ingress on my ecu.

Neither could find the actual fault and it didn’t play up when they had it.

I love my car so much I am scared of them ripping it apart looking for a loose wire in the wrong place.

Does anyone know what it could be?

She’s only got 48k on the clock.

Thanks in advance - scared Lupo owner in Norfolk x

My first guess believe it or not is the driver's door lock. The locks affect loads of things, controlled by the central convenience unit (CCU).

Possibly pure coincidence and totally unrelated to the other stuff. Not the ECU. Unlikely to be water ingress.

But the indicator switch controls and headlight relay are a possible candidate, but unlikely.

Also the main lights switch (can cause weird lights). Easy to swap too. Push the control knob in when off, then turn to the middle while pushing in. Then once it locks half way house, wiggle and pull it straight out. Then disconnect the plug and swap for another switch.

You may have more than one problem, so tricky to be sure.

Fit an EGR bypass on your little TDI. Then do the "elephant trunk modification" (block the suction of sump gases into the air inlet pipe and add a flexi conduit pipe to the sump gas outlet down to the road). It'll run so much better and cleaner emissions too. And even better fuel economy. :)

Late edit: Just had another read of the symptoms. Could be relay 109 behind the fuses. That can cause odd power behaviour.

Edited by mk2
Afterthought...

On 11/26/2020 at 8:15 PM, mk2 said:

Fit an EGR bypass on your little TDI. Then do the "elephant trunk modification" (block the suction of sump gases into the air inlet pipe and add a flexi conduit pipe to the sump gas outlet down to the road). It'll run so much better and cleaner emissions too.

Are you kidding? It will increase your NOx emissions many, many times! That's the reason for EGR!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28245-nitrogen-oxide-is-not-so-harmless-and-could-damage-human-health/?promCode=13454,13455&packageCodes=TAP&offerCode=Q,6M&dsa=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqes4fW44wIVTLTtCh1NeQ7-EAMYASAAEgK7z_D_BwE

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/15/diesel-emissions-test-scandal-causes-38000-early-deaths-year-study

You'll also void your insurance because the car will no longer comply with its' exhaust emissions.

RAB

Yeah, you're 100% right, however in this lovely wet country of ours, most of the Nox get's absorbed into ambient moisture very quickly and helps to dissolve away the white cliffs of dover to keep them all nice and white (Acid rain) to prop up our tourism industry. (Hope you like the positive spin I did there). The main reason they stripped out the sulphur from fuel.

But.

In the UK the MOT doesn't and never will be testing for Nox levels, only smoke, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Testing for Nox is difficult and requires sensors to be recalibrated for each test. Plus the equipment has to be really clean. And it has to take into account many many other factors. It's a difficult test to perform without proper lab type equipment (which is why Vdub got away with it for so long).

The main thing that the MOT chap checks is the smoke or particulates, which is the thing that most diesels fail on. And the primary cause of increased smoke is EGR, where there quite simply isn't enough oxygen to mix with that atomised diesel spray. Bit like a sooty candle flame. Basically, you're trying to keep the burn temperature down. If the "fire" gets hot enough, it actually ends up burning the 80% nitrogen in the air, which is where the Nox originates. Your gas hob generates quite high levels of nox- in your home. As does a gas boiler. And heating oil boilers. Oh and turbines like jets running on Kerosene (lots of Nox from them...). Cars (petrol and diesel) running below flat out are actually relatively clean. 

I've never ever heard of an insurance company checking emissions or compliance with emissions.

Another fun fact.... See all those private aircraft and helicopters flying above you- they still use leaded fuel.

Most big container ships use "bunker fuel", which is about as clean as burning plastic waste in your garden. But they're trying to phase that out, converting them to run on regular cheap diesel (the stuff with sulphur in).

I'd still bypass the EGR and delete the oil fumes though.

• 3 weeks later...