Misfire at 1500-2000 rpm - solved

dirk1978

I was going to post about this earlier asking what it could be. Hesitation/misfire/3 cylinders firing from around 1500-2000 rpm but fine above that.

I took the leads off and looked. This looks pretty conclusive:

PXL_20201122_123502026.thumb.jpg.39fff2b94d299b9495dd4867f7e5b32c.jpg

PXL_20201122_123506307.thumb.jpg.7abe14af38a26d1ef49fefce63ea7bcb.jpg

1 corroded, 3 fine.

I blasted the coil pack and lead with carb cleaner which cleaned it right up. It drives so much better now. Even gear changes and pulling away are smoother. I've ordered a new coilpack too.

PXL_20201122_123455891.MP.jpg

Oh god, yet another vdub affected by their damned ignition leads.

What is it with vdub ignition leads and coil packs?? Give it a year or two and you'll need to change them again... try squirting some silicone grease lube into every socket/cap to help keep the moisture out. 

• Like 1

As I was reading, I was going to tell you to order a coilpack. As spray cleaning is nothing but a temporary solution (been there done that).

In my case it was two clean, two corroded. Changed the spark plug cables as well while I was at it :)

1 hour ago, Blue Loop said:

As I was reading, I was going to tell you to order a coilpack. As spray cleaning is nothing but a temporary solution (been there done that).

In my case it was two clean, two corroded. Changed the spark plug cables as well while I was at it :)

Good thinking I'll get some leads too. This set has been on the car at least since I've had it so they're 10 years old+

27 minutes ago, ObjectiveAway said:

It is possible to buy the broken ceramic part seperately (which is actually the cheapest part), therefore you don't need to buy whole coil pack.

Interesting. I've already ordered the coilpack for £20 so not a massive outlay.

10 minutes ago, ObjectiveAway said:

Coil packs are very important for your engine perforance, I wouldn't trust 20£ set more than OEM top part and new 20£ bottom from high end manufactuer.

for £20 if it fails I'll get another one. If the performance is poor I'll be able to tell and order a better one.

• Like 1

Had the same issue on my GTI, also the exact same one which corroded as yours.

I replaced the coil pack with an aftermarket one about £16. Been on over 12 months now with no issues.

I also replaced the leads with the ones by mr-leads on eBay. Again, no issues at all.