52 plate Lupo. 30k clock. Loss of power & engine light flashing.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Long time lurker here, 1st time posting so bare with me please.

I have a 52 plate Lupo, its only got 30k on the clock. I got it from one previous owner who had it since new. Full service history in the log book.

Ive had the car for about 3 years now but it was hardly driven, just sat on my drive for 2 years as I wasn't at home during this time. 

After 1st lockdown finally managed to get it MOTd and Service. That come back fine mechanic has said no problems with it. 

Ive been driving it everyday since July long journeys (2hours) and short journeys and never had a problem with it myself. 

So now the problem.

Started her up, she ran fine. I got 5mins down the road at 40mph then the Engine Light starts flashing. I pull over and turn on and off same problem. 

Ive noticed the car is shaking and can feel driver seat vibrating a lot. 

I pop the bonnet and engine seems to be shaking a lot. 

I then notice this tube is disconnected, i've pushed it back on but the car is still having the same problem. 

I also topped up the oil 5 days back if that could be connected to it? 

And also the tank was empty so I had fuel light on, not sure if that could be the problem either? 

Can anyone shed any light please? 

Thank you.

IMG_8815.JPG

Shaking is most likely a misfire, either caused by a fuel or ignition fault. Typically ignition?

That pipe, I think is the sump blowby gas breather pipe, which shouldn't cause a misfire.

if you can get a cheap scan tool to plug into the car, or a lead to a laptop, that will help point you in the right direction. You can even get bluetooth dongles that link to your phone and an app. I use a laptop together with shareware (VCDS). 

Oh, and welcome to club lupo :)

Hey again guys/gals

So I don't really know much about cars so don't want to tamper with it too much.

The first things and only thing have done is replace all spark plugs, which hasn't fixed the problem. The leads on top of them looked fine. But the long bit that plugs back on top of the plugs (if that makes sense) 2 of the rubber washes are split and loose. I also noticed there was bit of oil on the plug bit that screws in but the plugs themselves look fine. (I will attach a photo)

IMG_8844.thumb.JPG.a814f80a266d79d53bbe4ac9d90ef3d9.JPG

On closer inspection of the engine and underneath I feel like somethings are amiss, I don't want to say its been tampered with but I kinda get the feeling it has.. Especially as in the previous photo I linked, the tube that was detached I took it off again yesterday and it was really solid to get off so I don't understand how it would come loose unless someone has touched it. 

Also

There is plug too the right and under the engine which was lifted up (photo attached) so I pushed that back down. No idea what that does. 

IMG_8840.thumb.JPG.f300c55f8cb7a2d79c0a7ba8d7e28e53.JPGIMG_8841.thumb.JPG.fc7d31249664806c3776b11a94570a1e.JPG

Now looking under the car from the front, to the right of the pipe there is a block. Now this block is covered in oil except a small area which is shiny, it seems weird how this is so clean except everything else which makes me think something has come off? (photo attached)

IMG_8838.thumb.JPG.0c62dc1dfc4eb4b981b0c8831d674126.JPGIMG_8837.thumb.JPG.320a25b8d7c2ca6d05fd4f6e0bc5c149.JPG

And lastly i've noticed the cable release for the bonnet as got nicks in it like someone has tried to open it from under the car? (photo attached) 

IMG_8842.thumb.JPG.6dcae165cbe50e3921ffa7b985fe2fde.JPGIMG_8843.thumb.JPG.8959c9887f3f5cfe474edc317e307984.JPG

I have got it booked in at mechanics tomorrow as Im really lost on what to do. But if any this sounds unusual let me know. 

Thanks!