Brake Line Flare

I need to replace the hard lines from the ABS pump to each front brake calipers.

I believe the pipe is 3/16 but unsure what type of brake flare I need?

Most online suggest double flare but have seen some mention bubble flare

Can the flares be interchanged?

Are the fittings M10x1.0 but aslo may be a m12x1.0?

Yeah 3/16 will work ok, and yeah, double flare for double flare joins. Just copy what's already there. Not 100% sure from memory, but I think 12mm across the range with older vdubs.

I find the trick is to make sure you cut the pipe perfectly square. I use one of those mini wheel pipe cutters. Then make sure the pipe is perfectly straight before it goes into the die clamp. Lots of lube when rolling the second flare.

It's a bubble flare you need to create - not double

I have re-piped a few Golfs, be aware that VW like to idiot proof the connections at the ABS pump. Usually one is M10 and the other a M12 so you don't mix the pipes up. I would recommend re-using the old fittings from the pump - do one pipe at a time to ensure you don't mess up!  The rest of the unions should just be M10.

Have you got a flare tool? I've have had the same cheap type for over 25 years and it has served me well - you just need to make sure you locate the pipe with correct length sticking out and fully clamp it down hard. Also to ensure you cut the pipe square I recommend getting a mini pipe cutter. Do a few practice runs and... remember to put the fittings on before the flare.

Lastly, copper is the standard replacement pipe, its OK, but goes green over time. I like using is slightly pricier cousin Cupronickel or Cunifer pipe - it is pretty much the same metal as Silver coins, looks better when aged - definitely the way to go if you are keep the Lupo for a while. Downside is it is a little bit harder to work, but upside is being a bit tougher.

4 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yeah 3/16 will work ok, and yeah, double flare for double flare joins. Just copy what's already there. Not 100% sure from memory, but I think 12mm across the range with older vdubs.

I find the trick is to make sure you cut the pipe perfectly square. I use one of those mini wheel pipe cutters. Then make sure the pipe is perfectly straight before it goes into the die clamp. Lots of lube when rolling the second flare.

beat me by 5 seconds!

Thanks very much for the help.

Did the job at the weekend in the great English weather.

As you said, was a bubble flare which required just a single flare (one action)

I ordered the tool which allows you to do the brake lines whilst still on the car, mainly because of how well it has been reviewed and its simplicity.

No leaks or loss of fluid so far, will keep a check on it over the week.

That's neat. What tool did you use? With mine, it's loads of hassle. First you have to do one open flare, the you turn the die round and do it again to close it up to create that "bubble". And sometimes it goes wrong, so you have to cut it off and start over.

This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-PIPE-FLARING-TOOL-4-75mm-DIN-BUBBLE-ON-CAR-FLARE-BY-TRIDENT-T413705-/183109692784?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Push pipe into the tool. Just about nip it up. Use one side to set the pipe to the correct depth. Tighten the bolts. Little bit of grease and then flare it with the other end. I also used a little sandpaper to clean up the edges before flaring. Good tool, easy to use, can't go wrong.

I'm guessing the brake lines are the first thing VW put into the shell. Nightmare trying to get the correct bends and positions. This was on a polo 6n2 TDI so had all the turbo and pipe work in the way.