1.0l open air to pd130 conversion

C11JBY

Evening... I have recently bought a 1.0l open air lupo for the Mrs however she doesn't like it and I think it gutless (it is). The question I have is how easy would it be to put a pd130 lump in?? I have a complete mk4 golf pd130 and a gutless lupo surley it can be done?  Anyone got any info or answers? 

Do this you will (yoda).

in a nutshell, you need to be able to get the engine running on it's own when it's completely removed from the golf. So a fair bit of wiring, sensors and stuff. Once it's running fine on its own, you're ready to start on the Lupo. Transplant will be straight forward based on Lupo TDI bits. The engine has to think it's still in the golf. The lupo has to think it's a golf for everything to work. Looks like a lupo, but in reality it's....

Not going to lie this will be my first build so haven't really got a clue... But in my head I was going to take the engine, loom n whatever running gear I need from the golf, I'll swap the 6speed box I got for a 5speed as I've read these fit alot better?? From what I've read engine mounts and driveshafts are going to have to be custom? But again I haven't got a clue 😂😂

You won't need anything custom at all. Every part you need is already available made by vdub. Use TDI and SDI mounts. Once you have the engine out of the golf - and running - it'll all become obvious what goes where. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the TDI box will work (with frequent oil changes). Also the SDI gearbox mount, as the 4 pot is a longer block than the 3 pot TDI, so everything get's shifted. The SDI box will also work (with lots of oil & bearing changes), but will need to be tilted a few degrees to match the engine, as it's more upright than the SDI block. Gti driveshafts.

It's been done a few times already.

From memory, I think the throttle pedal was the only problem- use the sensor from early SDI.

Edited by mk2