Stefans Lupo Gti

sj2112

Hello

So I purchased this lupo gti on 3rd October 2020, I happened to just be browsing autotrader/pistonheads/ebay for cars like you do when you're bored, always kept my eye on lupo gti's as they don't often come on the market.

So fast forward I happen to see this one come up, was very much an impulse buy what with already having the 182 trophy.

Spec of the lupo is

uk car
6 speed
Air con
Cloth Interior
52k miles
Janspeed exhaust
Brand new mats in the boot

Went to go see the car with @Ash J did a deal and drove it home this being my 3rd lupo gti now, first with the cloth Interior which is my favourite, the leather tends to age badly and sag..

Like any car though its not without its faults, some I knew about, couple I didn't. But that's always the way when buying second hand cars.. 🙄 Il get onto those in abit, firstly some pictures

DSC_1087.JPG

DSC_1089.JPG

DSC_1093.JPG

DSC_1088.JPG

DSC_1091.JPG

DSC_1097.JPG

DSC_1098.JPG

DSC_1077.JPG

DSC_1099.JPG

DSC_1071.JPG

Cheere

Will update more in abit

So going in from last post, the lupo had a couple of niggles I wanted to sort out..

The car came with a coin holder that wouldn't close and the previous chap used it connect his phone to play music through, wasn't for me so replaced with another cup holder..

Before

DSC_0937.JPG

After

IMG-20201006-WA0013.jpeg

Next was a tempermental drivers window switch, I knew about these two issues..

So bought two new switches which solved the issue 👌

DSC_0939.JPG

Next was the cd player wouldn't light up or play cds, tried taking it out and seeing what the prob was but couldn't get it to work, looked on eBay and bought another for just £20

Before

DSC_1067.JPG

After

DSC_1070.JPG

I cleaned the car and put on the new clean plates which you see in the pics in the first post, tidies it up imo.

Only issue I have left is the windscreen washer not working, the headlight washers work, checked fuse, seemed ok so will book it in with jkm soon.

Work has slightly changed since buying the lupo typically, so I will keep both the lupo and trophy for now but one will have to make way in the coming months being self employed, I need a new van (starting out on my own) and moving in with the gf means freeing up some money.

Anyway I will update as and when I do more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bernd said:

Nice one! That looks very tidy... How much did you pay for it? If you don't mind me asking...

I'd rather not disclose but will say was top end of the market still.. ☺️

And thanks guys I'm loving the little gti

Fair enough...

And yeah I get what you're saying I'm in love with my little Gti too, I'm even almost ok with it being silver and not blue. 

Looking at yours, I think I like the grey interior better than my red one, especially the door cards look so much better. I'm glad I've got the anthracite wheels though. I did wonder if there's a reason that the cd player is installed on top of the stereo? (first time I've seen it that way round)

Oh and nice key fob! (I've got the same one, lol)

1 hour ago, bernd said:

Fair enough...

And yeah I get what you're saying I'm in love with my little Gti too, I'm even almost ok with it being silver and not blue. 

Looking at yours, I think I like the grey interior better than my red one, especially the door cards look so much better. I'm glad I've got the anthracite wheels though. I did wonder if there's a reason that the cd player is installed on top of the stereo? (first time I've seen it that way round)

Oh and nice key fob! (I've got the same one, lol)

True I never spotted the cd player other way round... Kinda works better for me that way weirdly. 

Yeah ive had leather Interior in my last two gtis (black, laser blue) but I knew this time round it had to be the this Interior colour combo. I quite like the silver tbh not like I see any lupo gtis on the roads. 

Yeah the keyring come with the car 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, Grumpy said:

I see you have listed this on Autotrader - any interest so far?

Hello

Yeah ive had interest, not best time of year to sell, granted. I know its going to divide opinions on its price, but there is no other like for like for sale that I've seen. 

34 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

Overpriced I'm afraid, nice as it is you can get a very good mark 2 Golf GTI for that sort of money

I appreciate your comment and I take it onboard. I'm sorry but this isn't a 5k car nor a 5 speed early car that I see up for £6,500 so should it not sell so be it. 

Not really relevant the golf gti when completely different cars though and a fair bit older? 

Ah a conversation about mk2s and lupos... my kinda thing. £6.5k will get you a reasonable condition mk2, not a good one. They go for about £15k now. A Rallye will be closer to £40k- if you can find one. But £5k will get you a very good lupo gti.

I'm gonna get roasted here- an old mk2 gti is most definitely superior to a lupo gti. Not as comfy, but out handles a Lupo gti every time. On stock suspension. Lupo wheelbase is too short for good handling at speed. Economy about the same. Parts cost about the same. Cool factor- Mk2 wins every time. I must admit though, the Lupo out accelerates the mk2. More power in a Lupo (just), but about the same weight.

let's see who begins the roasting.... :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sj2112 said:

I appreciate your comment and I take it onboard. I'm sorry but this isn't a 5k car nor a 5 speed early car that I see up for £6,500 so should it not sell so be it. 

Not really relevant the golf gti when completely different cars though and a fair bit older? 

I'm talking about value for money, Lupo GTI's range from £2500 upwards, you ask 3x the lowest start figure, I just can't see anyone buying at that price

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Ah a conversation about mk2s and lupos... my kinda thing. £6.5k will get you a reasonable condition mk2, not a good one. They go for about £15k now. A Rallye will be closer to £40k- if you can find one. But £5k will get you a very good lupo gti.

I'm gonna get roasted here- an old mk2 gti is most definitely superior to a lupo gti. Not as comfy, but out handles a Lupo gti every time. On stock suspension. Lupo wheelbase is too short for good handling at speed. Economy about the same. Parts cost about the same. Cool factor- Mk2 wins every time. I must admit though, the Lupo out accelerates the mk2. More power in a Lupo (just), but about the same weight.

let's see who begins the roasting.... :)

I've had a few mk1 & mk2 Golf GTI'S, the mk1 is overhyped but the mk2 is an exceptional vehicle, my eldest grandson is in the throes of rebuilding his mk2 with a 2 litre 16v motor from a mk3 Golf. I drove it a year or so ago before the modification and despite no power steering it still drives well. The biggest problem for the Lupo gti is always going to be a remapped Lupo tdi.

4 hours ago, sj2112 said:

Hello

Yeah ive had interest, not best time of year to sell, granted. I know its going to divide opinions on its price, but there is no other like for like for sale that I've seen. 

It looks clean but I do think its overpriced. That said it only takes one person to buy it. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So moving forward, with the car only really being used summer/good weather and in a garage when not in use I decided to put the new mats in, gave the car a hoover and is probably sacrilege to some putting them in, but I wanna enjoy the car and these lift the interior over the rubber mats albeit ideal for winter but not likely to see another winter in my ownership 

DSC_1197.thumb.JPG.4f38ea913b270caf22adeb9ba1d96019.JPG

DSC_1198.thumb.JPG.97ea554683eb5e76c9ef5ad12aba911b.JPG

Have purchased some parts for the car which I will update as and when they get fitted. 

Cheers guys 

20 minutes ago, Y2ACP said:

3rd time lucky (2nd time you were very lucky) 

Yeh the laser blue was lovely, actually prefer the interior of this one personally, ages better, then the leather that just sags. 

• 2 weeks later...

So got round to getting the windscreen washers working again, turned out to be the motor.. Got the call from jkm that the car was all done.

DSC_1244.thumb.jpg.24c584c38aadd5d00ccfba8932430c87.jpg

Today I gave it a 'deep clean' since hadn't been done since start of November..

Two bucket
Auto finesse lather
Af Iron out
Af De tar
Maguires wheel cleaner
Af drying towel
Finished with af glisten

Also changed front and rear wipers to some new bosch one

DSC_1226.thumb.jpg.a03430a3a5c5f50faccb10715c80ed94.jpg
Before

DSC-1224.jpg

After