LED interior bulbs

yeha

Don't use LED interior lamps. The CCU has a dimmer function that relies on the filament bulb drawing current. When you fit an LED, it kinda flickers... not good. Standard bulbs are still the best (old tech!).

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

Don't use LED interior lamps. The CCU has a dimmer function that relies on the filament bulb drawing current. When you fit an LED, it kinda flickers... not good. Standard bulbs are still the best (old tech!).

In the words of Donald Trump, "Fake News". 

Fitted an LED panel to replace my interior and had no flickering issues. Even when I did this some years back on my first Lupo I had no issues just with a regular festoon LED. 

Although, I will caveat that with some do stay lit very dimly when the light is still turned off. Soon fixed this with a resistor across the +ve & -ve of the light. 

Actually, you're right- I forgot that E-spec cars don't have the dimmer function. You can check by leaving your door open. On cars with the dimmer function, the CCU switches off the interior light after about 5 mins. On E spec cars it stays on until the battery goes flat. Also the light stays on when you get in the car, but only goes off when the ignition key is turned on. Handy...

Yeah, @cj1 is right- a fix is with a 220 ohm resistor soldered across the LED. I had loads of hassle trying to get an LED working on my interior lamp thing. Gave up in the end as it was either fully lit or off. I like the way the regular bulb fades to black slowly when you close the door at night.

Just had another thought- there is a difference in the CCJ functions between pre and post 2001 Lupos. I don't know why they changed it (along with the instruments, ECU and security). I'm always spotting lots of little changes between my 2001 and 2003 SDIs.

• 1 year later...

Hey @mk2. I understand well what you mean. Old but gold. I've always agreed that standard bulbs are the best. However, I think I changed my mind after seeing some impressive interior enlightening projects some of my friends have done using LED lights. They used smart strip lights like these https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/. I doubt I could manage to install and connect them by myself. Hence, probably I'm going to reach an electrician to have it done. I've always considered it best not to skimp when it comes to my lovely Lupo. Am I right?

Edited by dixiemcgahee57