Decat manifold, mot-able?

Slammedrollerskate

I have a nice shiny decat manifold on my 1.0, as far as I'm aware these have 2 cats? One in the manifold and one in  the middle underneath.  Will I be able to blag it? I'd rather not have to take it off just for the mot, anybody got any experience with this stuff?. 

It's usually a visual check to see if there is a CAT under the car...

You are sure there is one down there? its unusual for VW to be generous!

Diesel guys smash out the innards of OEM CAT to retain the outer body - as long as it passes emissions you should be OK

Even if you fail you get 7 days to present it for re-test, that should be enough time to swap it back if necessary.

Edited by LR5V

You can find these straight non-cat manifolds from cars manufactured untill 2000, because they have EURO2 emission class. I have exact setup for my Lupo, 2001 model, thats actually EURO3 emissions class — therefore my Lupo had two cats from factory. Barelly passed emission (CO2 was 0,1% lower than allowed) test with single cat (lower one) and exhaust manifold without cat, which is EURO2 exhaust system. However with EURO2 car you can pass inspection without cats at all and the check engine will not even turn on.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:52 AM, ObjectiveAway said:

You can find these straight non-cat manifolds from cars manufactured untill 2000, because they have EURO2 emission class. I have exact setup for my Lupo, 2001 model, thats actually EURO3 emissions class — therefore my Lupo had two cats from factory. Barelly passed emission (CO2 was 0,1% lower than allowed) test with single cat (lower one) and exhaust manifold without cat, which is EURO2 exhaust system. However with EURO2 car you can pass inspection without cats at all and the check engine will not even turn on.

Euro 2 VW Lupo? Really? I don't think so. All Lupos were, at minimum, Euro 3. Although the Euro 4 standard didn't exist at the time, the 1999 Lupo 3L even met the requirements of the 2005 Euro 4! The only Lupos that weren't Euro 4 were the non-3L diesels.

http://carurac.com/echappement/volkswagen/lupo.html

RAB

Edited by RAB

17 hours ago, RAB said:

Euro 2 VW Lupo? Really? I don't think so. All Lupos were, at minimum, Euro 3. Although the Euro 4 standard didn't exist at the time, the 1999 Lupo 3L even met the requirements of the 2005 Euro 4! The only Lupos that weren't Euro 4 were the non-3L diesels.

http://carurac.com/echappement/volkswagen/lupo.html

RAB

Thank you for explaining this to me. Since EURO 4 was aprooved in 2005 I was confused about either they are EURO 2 and 3 or 3 and 4, therefore its defo 3 and 4 then.