Lupo 3l

Y2ACP

5 hours ago, RAB said:

"I don't understand the premium on these cars, ok they are very fuel efficient, but so is the SDI or TDI.  "

Not in the same class. Chalk and cheese.

RAB

Quite so , crappy auto, torque sapped by the slush box I'd pick a TDI every time and an SDI most of the time. A gimmick for posuers

From what little I know of the 3L, it's basically a very special diesel lupo gti. Really. The gearbox is a regular manual one, but has some clever manual shifting mechanisms. Not a regular fluid based auto box. Not a DSG either. So it changes gear like a person pressing on a clutch, goes click clonk, back off the clutch and then the throttle resumes. The ECU controls everything. The first time you drive it, it freaks you out. Like "ok, where's the little monkey that just changed gear and then put the power back on...?!". A bit like the smart "for 2". I'd like to know how it handles lots of hill starts in traffic without burning out the clutch. I don't think you need to use the handbrake? @RAB please clarify.

Certainly no gimick. If it were easy to convert to RHD, I'd probably get one. Trouble is, just about all the components are 3L specials, which are COMPLETELY different to regular Lupos. 

Yeah. I don't mean performance, i mean the construction and all the panels etc. @RAB will tell you about all the difficult to get bits, which are different to normal Lupos.

I guess it's a kind of frankenwagen. Part gti, part tdi, part regular lupo. Wierd that they actually decided to put it all in a Lupo. I get the A2. I'm sure they must have originally thought about making the Polo a 3L instead.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, weslangdon said:

Quite so , crappy auto, torque sapped by the slush box I'd pick a TDI every time and an SDI most of the time. A gimmick for posuers

If that's the extent of your knowledge, then your previous statement is no surprise. The 3L has an automated MANUAL gearbox. If it had a normal auto, it wouldn't achieve 3L/100km.

You do need to use the handbrake for hill starts - no difference from a manual car. The clutch is either open or closed, it doesn't do slip! That's why changes are a little jerky at slow speed but at higher speed, changes are hardly noticeable.

The 3L only shares about 20% (FSi and GTi excepted) of it's parts with other Lupos. Even the body shell is different (thinner but stronger steel), which it shares with the GTi and the FSi. The ECU doesn't control everything; there's also a GCU!

I've never had any difficulty getting parts from VW, it just takes a bit longer because most parts are not stocked in the UK.

When you express an opinion, it's a good idea to know what you're talking about! This is what you should have read BEFORE commenting:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_218.pdf

There will be an exam afterwards!

RAB

Edited by RAB

@RAB am I right in saying that when you're driving the 3L, the throttle pedal behaves more like a demand pedal? As in, when you get to certain RPMs and it'd be time to change gear, the ECU decides to drop the throttle, tell the GCU (I like that!) that it can now do its thing. Once the gear change is complete, I'd guess that the GCU tells the ECU it's done with gear changing and can carry on accelerating (or decel)?

So basically you don't need to move your right foot? (Same as a Smart)

Is there a kick down type of function, when you really want to cane it?

That's about right but it's a bit more sophisticated than that because the point of change with regard to RPM is dependent on the position of the throttle, i.e. with more throttle it changes at a higher RPM, so yes and yes.

RAB

10 hours ago, RAB said:

If that's the extent of your knowledge, then your previous statement is no surprise. The 3L has an automated MANUAL gearbox. If it had a normal auto, it wouldn't achieve 3L/100km.

You do need to use the handbrake for hill starts - no difference from a manual car. The clutch is either open or closed, it doesn't do slip! That's why changes are a little jerky at slow speed but at higher speed, changes are hardly noticeable.

The 3L only shares about 20% (FSi and GTi excepted) of it's parts with other Lupos. Even the body shell is different (thinner but stronger steel), which it shares with the GTi and the FSi. The ECU doesn't control everything; there's also a GCU!

I've never had any difficulty getting parts from VW, it just takes a bit longer because most parts are not stocked in the UK.

When you express an opinion, it's a good idea to know what you're talking about! This is what you should have read BEFORE commenting:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_218.pdf

There will be an exam afterwards!

RAB

If it was as good as you think it is/was, why didnt it catch on? 

6 hours ago, RAB said:

That's about right but it's a bit more sophisticated than that because the point of change with regard to RPM is dependent on the position of the throttle, i.e. with more throttle it changes at a higher RPM, so yes and yes.

RAB

The ECU controlled throttle is the function I find fascinating. Completely different to a slush box automatic or DSG.