A/C only works on 1st setting

BLADE

On my GTI, A/C is only working on first fan setting, (light goes out on button on remaining settings, 2-4) Fans all ok on all positions. Is this likely to be the blower  resistor in passenger footwell? Only reason doubting is that if resistor, thought A/C would just be working on highest setting (4) not low (1)

Thanks

Edited by BLADE
Update

I've never seen that problem on a Lupo (not encountered many Lupos with AC). But those symptoms I've seen on other vdubs, and yeah you're right, it was the fan resistor. Common on Polos. So might be the same...

But there is something in the back of my head reminding me of the recirc switch and windscreen setting combination- disabling the AC. (It stops you using AC on recirculate, when demist is selected). So might be the selector switch? 

Please let us know if you solve it!

Edited by mk2

Thanks for the replies. Switch 'looks' ok as working fine on setting 1. Recirc is auto disengaged when demister is on as expected. Fans all ok when A/C switched off. Just tried again and A/C still only working on fan position 1. So pulled back the cover to the heater resistor (under passenger side shelf) checked connection to block, waggled wires and sure enough A/C started working again on settings 2-4. I doubt this is a long term fix - suspect that the next pothole I hit on the glorious roads in Cambridge will cause it to fail again. May change resistor anyway as not expensive and 'appears' an easy replacement.