Upgraded Gti Interior

davy26

Now completed the 'improvement' of my Gti's interior - Momo Prototipo 320mm retrimmed wheel, 917-style gear knob and Pascha seats retrim.  Have a few smallish cosmetic body/paint things to do this winter, and then the car will be pretty near perfect (from my viewpoint!)

cropP1150969_00001.jpg

smlDSC_0002_00002.jpg

smlDSC_0006_00006.jpg

smlDSC_0012_00012.jpg

• davy26 changed the title to Upgraded Gti Interior
  • 2 months later...

Love the seats and carpets, but just can't get my head around Momo steering wheels. I think with a nicely retrimmed OEM wheel, this would be one of the best interiors I've ever seen.

Thanks for the positive comments Skez!  I did previously try a re-trimmed OE wheel, but while it benefited from the new, smooth leather, my basic objection remained, i.e. this, like so many OE wheels, is just too big.  Hence my liking for a Momo, in this instance in my favourite diameter, 320mm.  This is a mid-seventies Prototipo, re-trimmed and slightly 'thickened,' and whilst I especially like the look, my pleasure in using it is a lot down to how good it feels in the hands because of the tactile quality of the wrapping - super-smooth - and the improved 'feel' in terms of steering weight and feedback. Difficult to describe, but immediately evident in the driver's seat. Regards. David. 

So is it purely the size then compared to the OEM wheel? I guess that makes more sense than some of the reasons I've seen (which usually revolve around them being cool and flashy) and truthfully I've never really thought about a wheel being too big or small. Would you say it makes the car easier to drive? Or is that something more likely felt on the track that down your local town centre? I'm guessing you have to resistor out the airbag as well otherwise you get the light?

In the OEM world:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Wheel-VW-VICTOR-Sport-Leather-Vintage-Golf-Jetta-Scirocco-Mk1-Mk2/164286905617?hash=item2640433d11:g:cWMAAOSwyhhfCtJs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK1-GOLF-GTI-CADDY-CABRIO-JETTA-GENUINE-4-BOTTON-STEERING-WHEEL/293779157126?epid=650170102&hash=item44669a3086:g:OnQAAOSwInxfhK4t

Similar styling to your Momo but a bit of OEM flavour. Wonder how this would look in a Lupo. :D 

The smaller wheel doesn't make the car easier to drive - in fact there's more muscular effort required of course at parking speed - but it makes the experience more engaging, so, if you want to do, you can be quicker on road or the track.  The Momo also provides a much nicer feel on the rim wrap because it's thicker, smoother and is not so rigid like the OE.  With Momo hub kits nowadays there's always a resistor included so that the air bag light is seen to function normally.  And it's the air bag that is the root of my main reason for preferring a Momo (or similar) - this component gives rise to designs which typically result in an OE wheel in which there appears to be a lumpen black buttock wedged!  I feel that virtually all OE air bag wheels are very unattractive to behold.  I also don't care much for all the buttons and gadgets that increasing feature on contemporary wheels.  In contrast a Momo Prototipo possesses real purity of purpose with the simplicity and great aesthetic of the plain black leather rim/spats and bright metal, lightened spokes.  I could go on . . .

4 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

I've seen those mats in a lot of Japanese VW's, where did you get them from?

Afternoon Martin - hope all's good with you.  I used to have these Coco Mats in BMWs back in the Seventies. More recently they've become available again  - https://www.cocomats.com/

They have 'on file' rhd templates for both the Lupo and Up (3 door) as result of my previous orders.  In my view they're well worth the money, being very well made, heavy duty and better looking than anything else I've seen.  If you contact them, you'll find Crissy very helpful.

Regards.

David

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, davy26 said:

Afternoon Martin - hope all's good with you.  I used to have these Coco Mats in BMWs back in the Seventies. More recently they've become available again  - https://www.cocomats.com/

They have 'on file' rhd templates for both the Lupo and Up (3 door) as result of my previous orders.  In my view they're well worth the money, being very well made, heavy duty and better looking than anything else I've seen.  If you contact them, you'll find Crissy very helpful.

Regards.

David

Thanks for the info, as you say, they are expensive but do look amazing! One day.....