1579351547_Design2Grey-Red-Gold.thumb.png.857e475350057b57d4ef57f13a7c40ad.png

Hi all,

Was curious if anyone has attempted a project similar to this before: raising a Lupo. When the Volkswagen Lupo was announced many years back I was disappointed that no "cross" version of the vehicle was ever made, as the VW Golf Country Mk2 looked (and still looks) amazing - even if it was built in limited numbers. So, the intent of this project would be to produce a VW Lupo which looks similar to the VW Golf Country Mk2 and fulfills a similar purpose. Of course, this is a very early concept and something I quickly whipped up in Microsoft paint but this would be something similar to the final design if said project was ever to be started. 

429419420_Design2.thumb.png.e1036f0ff7e7c1e9460620b586999b5b.png

To start, the vehicle would be given a DSG Gearbox from perhaps a VW Golf Mk5/6/7 to assist in driving through the United Kingdom. The proposed engines can be seen below, as you notice the displacement does not go above 1.4L, this is due to a multiple of reasons including: insurance, emission laws, fuel economy, and longevity of the project. Atop of this, I assume installing a 1.4L engine into a 1.4L car is not as difficult as perhaps swapping a 1.8L into a Lupo; though with no experience I could be wrong. Most likely, the Volkswagen Golf Mk7 1.4L TSI R-Line (150bhp) engine and 7 speed DSG will be used; this is to increase the longevity of the car as a VW Lupo in perfect (or near perfect) body condition with a (roughly) 3 year old engine and transmission will likely last for atleast another 5 years. if this project was to either begin, as well, the car would be looked after extensively to ensure its longevity.

temp.png.b9dceed21cfa94c80ff63cb3dea0ccd9.png

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the vehicle would be the external roll cage and Mercedes-Benz G-Class wheel guards, said guards would roughly increase the width of the vehicle by 120mm each side (*note, not finalised). The roll cage would be attached to the vehicle at several points (as seen in the pictures below, in lime green), the two attachments in the roof are intended to form inner roll cages and connect to the floor of the car (the Chassis) for additional rigidity and support. Atop of this, the G-Class style dual side exit exhausts would also be present on the vehicle because... 😄 and a car snorkel would also be fitted. A roof rack would also be added to the vehicle, holding either an LED bar of lights or Circular LED lights similar to the front of the Lupo. The car would also have a ladder on the back to access the roof rack more easily (even if you can just jump it 😅) . The cars suspension would also need to be altered to accommodate the weight,  the minimum ground clearance of the vehicle would be 5" and the proposed vehicle would not be fitted by hydraulic suspension; nor would the vehicle be fitted with 4WD (unlike the Golf Country) due to budget constraints.  

Cosmetically, the car would be receive the words "Lupo" on the rear similar to how the words "Golf" appear on the new Volkswagen Golf Mk8. The front of the car would receive the "mean" eyes and badgeless front end; however, the badge would still be mounted onto the bonnet of the car in a way similar to that of the Volkswagen Scirocco Mk3. The badges, of course, would all be blacked out and the car would be painted Audi Nardo Grey. The roll cages would be painted BMW Protonic Red. The brake calipers would be painted gold. The brake lights of the car would be custom made, however this is not finalised. The rear seats of the car may be removed to accommodate additional storage for when you want to go camping etc. The spare tire storage area would be removed for further storage and, when needed, (i.e. not around town) a spare tire can be held by the roof rack. The G-Class wheel guards would also have indicators on them, these would be in an as yet finalised design - but most likely be similar to that of the G-Class bonnet indicators, but placed on the guards instead.

1967524588_VolkswagenLupoChassisDiagramIdea1WeldPoints.thumb.png.8b809b4143a653a3fdb4280c44b313e1.png1839934377_VolkswagenLupoChassisDiagramIdea1WeldPointsandCage.thumb.png.37c40e1d3de98626507c684ccacef81b.png1752320991_VolkswagenLupoFinalDimensionsforRollCage.thumb.png.3754b537a2dbda884d8e1733da295774.png

Whilst I understand this isn't the traditional or "go-to" Lupo modification, I just thought it would be fun: whether or not I, or anyone else, attempts such a modification I just wanted to get his out of my system lol. Atop of this, the vehicle originally was to become 4WD, have a DSG transmission, and a decent engine - when roughly adding up the costs the car soon exceeded £10000: which is out of my budget. As a result, the more realistic approach would be to keep the car as front wheel drive and make the roll cage myself to save on most of this projects costs. Regardless though, I hope you enjoyed my take on a Volkswagen Lupo Country. 

*Note* and I understand that some of the images and diagrams I have used are not accurate, but they are their to simple estimate costs/sizes and are temporary: once the project officially begins I will document all changes to the car thoroughly.

886529431_Design4.1.thumb.png.6cf7ae2ba0e269e4ea42e2cda5ec9da1.png

Edited by Karnipex
image improvements
  • Like 1

I've been thinking the very same. I like the golf country. Might even pop over to Germany to buy one, one day.

The way the Mk2 is done is using a type of under chassis, which is simply bolted straight on. The engine sits lower in the engine bay too, as the subframe is lower. Just about everything is stock apart from the steering column, brake pipes and suspension. You need the 4wd system too.

The fromt and rear nudge bars wouldn't be hard (standard item, modified), although the rear was only added because the rear diff made the floor too shallow. Might be able to get away with it on the lupo.

IMG_2024.PNG

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:36 AM, ObjectiveAway said:

I doubt Lupo wheel bearings are able to carry that amount of wheel offset. Even Landcruiser and Patrol  heavy duty bearings struggle and heat up with big offsets and large wheels.

How could I avoid this issue, any ideas? I'd comprise on widening the car, but for additional stability given the improved engine and new weight of the vehicle atleast some offset seems necessary. Could I replace the wheel bearing and front axles with those found on a Golf Mk7, given I would be swapping the engine with one anyway? Sure, I'd have to do the same to rear as well and improve the rigidity and overall maximum weight tolerance of the Lupo chassis; but it's not impossible, surely. 

There's no extra offset or anything clever. It's basically standard running gear with a few extras. Everything has just been lifted. That's all. Here's a pic showing the wheel in the 'normal' position, just the body has been raised.

IMG_2049.PNG

Here's the chassis simply bolted on. It's really a bit amateurish if you look closely. Mind you, they were all hand built, with something like only 500 produced in total.

IMG_2050.PNG

Edited by mk2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Karnipex said:

How could I avoid this issue, any ideas? I'd comprise on widening the car, but for additional stability given the improved engine and new weight of the vehicle atleast some offset seems necessary. Could I replace the wheel bearing and front axles with those found on a Golf Mk7, given I would be swapping the engine with one anyway? Sure, I'd have to do the same to rear as well and improve the rigidity and overall maximum weight tolerance of the Lupo chassis; but it's not impossible, surely. 

I totally agree MK2, since you told you wanted to build mk2 synchro analogue for Lupo, if you don't put rims with large offset or spacers, and simply widen chassis by fitting wider subframes, there should be no problems with wheel bearings. 

Since You are talking about roll-cage, snorkel and wheel guards, Your idea actually don't fit "VW Lupo which looks similar to the VW Golf Country Mk2 and fulfills a similar purpose", mk2 synchro was actually weak 4x4 car (viscous coupling) which did not needed roll-cage and snorkel. I don't know for what purposes You want a 4x4 Lupo, but I suggest to fit Lupo body on AWD frame, for example Suzuki Samurai frame is much more appropriate for off-road and roll-cage than few VW subframes. Samurais have 1.3 engine as well, would need to attach Lupo body to frame. There was an idea about 4x4 Lupo with Fiat Panda drive train, which is slightly harder than fitting body on frame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

I totally agree MK2, since you told you wanted to build mk2 synchro analogue for Lupo, if you don't put rims with large offset or spacers, and simply widen chassis by fitting wider subframes, there should be no problems with wheel bearings. 

Since You are talking about roll-cage, snorkel and wheel guards, Your idea actually don't fit "VW Lupo which looks similar to the VW Golf Country Mk2 and fulfills a similar purpose", mk2 synchro was actually weak 4x4 car (viscous coupling) which did not needed roll-cage and snorkel. I don't know for what purposes You want a 4x4 Lupo, but I suggest to fit Lupo body on AWD frame, for example Suzuki Samurai frame is much more appropriate for off-road and roll-cage than few VW subframes. Samurais have 1.3 engine as well, would need to attach Lupo body to frame. There was an idea about 4x4 Lupo with Fiat Panda drive train, which is slightly harder than fitting body on frame.

The syncro system never worked well on the Golf Rallye either

golf Rallye.html

10 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

That old Fiat Panda 4x4 Lupo was also posted by myself Haha, but thanks for the input. I'm sure I can work something out before actually starting the project. Would hate to start something so ambitious just for it to flop and be a waste of money. 

I love the old Panda 4x4. What a simple car. Haven't seen one for a while. Last time was in a breakers yard about 5 years ago. Never driven one though.

The viscous isn't that bad. Audi also used it in their quattro rally car...

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

I love the old Panda 4x4. What a simple car. Haven't seen one for a while. Last time was in a breakers yard about 5 years ago. Never driven one though.

The viscous isn't that bad. Audi also used it in their quattro rally car...

Viscous coupling for power distribution and viscous coupling for power transmission is not the same thing at all, as far as I know Audi never used synchro. Quattro is regular AWD technology which has always been fine.