Has anyone ever worn out rear brake shoes?

mk2

Drum brakes of course...

Just wondering as I had a need to sort out the rear brakes on my silver SDI. Had the car nearly 7 years now. When I got it, I checked the rears and they were like new, hardly worn at 65k. Now at 120k, still hardly worn. But the handbrake didn't really work, so decided to strip, inspect and replace if needed. Date code was still on there, genuine vdub shoes (!!!) from 2001. Obviously the brakes that came with the car from new.

So the problem became apparent once everything was off. The handbrake hinge cable lever arms were seized almost solid. So when you pull the brake, the brakes go on, sort of, but not enough. And didn't release much. Lots of handbrake arm movement. Also explains why there was very light binding. Solution was to swap to new brake shoes. But before fitting the new ones, decided to make sure the brand new lever worked smoothly. It didn't...! So worked in a small amount of CV grease until it worked easily. No excess grease anywhere.

Now, the handbrake works with finger tip effort. Sorted. Handbrake turns to impress...

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

Explains why I picked up a set for just £7. Basically, they last the life of the car... No need to stock spares that can't be shifted. Clearance.

That auto box will be worth something if good. 👍🏻They usually self destruct and write off the car.

Edited by mk2

• 2 weeks later...

Brake regulator prevented mine rear brakes from working almost at all, it was too stiff, therefore I decided to remove springs and adjustment parts from it. Left rubber seal and hex adjustment bolt, now it is fully open all the time (because it works opposite way like VW T3 brake regulator), let's see if that improves braking for rear axle. Of course I did saved these items for any occasion, so far so good, my handbrake was always too soft, and it has adjusted since this modification.