Lupo 1.7 SDI Turbo Conversion...

xXBeefyDjXx

Hi everyone, 

I've come to the end of my googling solving absolutely none of my questions on this topic but I always seem to land on threads here so figured I'd see what those who have done it or have the know how have to say on the matter. I apologize for the long post in advance!

I brought a 1.7 SDI Lupo almost a year ago now from a friend who was the 2nd owner and had always planned to turbo charge the beast. I purchased a few extras from him including:

215 (I think? memory fades quick) injectors which I believe are from a pre-PD 90 or 105. (These have already been installed and damn, what a difference!)

TD03 turbo with exhaust manifold and inlet manifold from a mk3 golf TDI (So I have been told, need to double check the part numbers)

Manual twisty boi boost controller for vacuum control.

Front Mount Intercooler. 

I have since sat on these parts for the last 8 months and really want to get it done. My biggest question is Oil Feed and Return lines as my Lupo is one of the engines with the 1.9 stamp on the block but I don't know if the return is blanked or has a bolt in it. (I presume it's blanked)...

I had a look at the oil pump on these SDIs and I can see that there's a set of 4 blanked off ports on the filter housing, are these enough to just slap a feed on?

And for returns, I will likely just have to drill a hole in the sump, weld in an AN fitting and make a custom line?

Intercoolers, I have read that I might be able to get away with no intercooler as long as I definitely plan on running a cold air intake (Which I will be given it's going to get toasty behind the block!)

Oh and Oil Coolers, a must or forget it? I want something simple but reliable....

The current situation is that I used this engine to learn how to map EDC15 ECUs of which has gone really well. Mapped in the new injectors to avoid smoke and have made a map that is turbo ready to avoid stressing the bottom end with too much boost or making the gearbox **** itself.... Gotta say for an SDI it's surprising how much an injector change can do. (ECU stats according to EDCsuite show 65HP and around 160lb/ft torque. Though it's definitely nippier I wouldn't say it's quite that but maybe one day we'll dyno it properly)
Popcorn and Launch Control were added for the scene points too, it sounds stupid but that's the goal.

(Interestingly, the SDI Map has all the map tables for MAP/MAF and also the N75 Valve in, so while it's possible to wire them in for full boost control, I won't be doing so and just run a boost gauge with the manual controller. Sending it is what me and my friends do.)

Attached is a picture of my lupo, I'll further introduce the beast in another post later. :)

108034180_293417258670408_3354820965332827965_n.jpg

• Like 1

The easiest way 'apparently', to upgrade it is to simply nick all the bits off a golf or bora 1.9 engine- if you want to keep the same engine number (for insurance reasons). Like you say, it is the exact same 1.9 block, with different bits bolted on and a different crank. A strong little engine, capable of at least 150hp.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mk2 said:

The easiest way 'apparently', to upgrade it is to simply nick all the bits off a golf or bora 1.9 engine- if you want to keep the same engine number (for insurance reasons). Like you say, it is the exact same 1.9 block, with different bits bolted on and a different crank. A strong little engine, capable of at least 150hp.

I'm still perplexed as to how everyone's done it though as there's always someone around the internet saying "Yeah I did it" but they've only shown the turbo bolted to the head. 
Anyone can bolt a turbo to the head but where on earth are you getting oil feed and return from?

I sense a big "How to Turbo an SDI" post coming up from me imminently lol

I'm just going to assume I will be needing custom lines as there's definitely no return on the block and the feed will just have to come from the filter housing which I verified has 2x blanked outlets with some standard bolts in. Then comes the question "does one have enough pressure in?" Only way to find out is to remove one and crank it! 

Looked around the scrappies near me today and as with near enough all cars of the last 20 years they all had oil coolers coming off the filter housing and 90% had turbos removed... 

From memory, the only major mod is the sump because the 1.9 sits at a different angle (different box). You need the turbo oil drain welded on. The feed I think you can tap in as it's blanked off. Not sure if a plate or just not drilled out in production. But thinking about it, you might be able to go through the oil pressure switch feed. I don't know.

You'll run out of air feed space pretty quick too. 1.4, 3 pot components would come in handy there. Use the bits from the AMF engined Lupo. If you can locate the intercooler in the same spot??? That'll be tricky.

Where are u in the Uk? There are "a few" 1.4 AMF polos in our local breakers right now. Loads of 1.9 TDIs.

Just had a mad idea- how about running the turbo drain back in through the cam cover?

16 hours ago, mk2 said:

From memory, the only major mod is the sump because the 1.9 sits at a different angle (different box). You need the turbo oil drain welded on. The feed I think you can tap in as it's blanked off. Not sure if a plate or just not drilled out in production. But thinking about it, you might be able to go through the oil pressure switch feed. I don't know.

You'll run out of air feed space pretty quick too. 1.4, 3 pot components would come in handy there. Use the bits from the AMF engined Lupo. If you can locate the intercooler in the same spot??? That'll be tricky.

Where are u in the Uk? There are "a few" 1.4 AMF polos in our local breakers right now. Loads of 1.9 TDIs.

Just had a mad idea- how about running the turbo drain back in through the cam cover?

Yeah I guessed by now that the Drain will need to be. Got lots of welders at my disposal and friends in the trade. 
It's deffo not drilled out in production. Had a poke around and it's not a welded in bung as I'd hoped. 

I wouldn't want to mess with any switch feeds as it's a recipe for disaster if you manage to blow them off, good idea though! Just a T piece into there should do the trick in theory...

I suppose cam covers could work also but I'd rather not tinker with that if I have to drill anyway, may as well be the sump as that might introduce heat issues?

Im west mids based and there's not too many going here. Another identical SDI just showed up in the scrappies near me and everyone's gone nuts for parts lol

Check on the pressure for the oil feed to the turbo. On some engines, there's a restrictor in the supply line to the bearings to stop the seals blowing out when the oil is cold. I'm not sure you can supply the straight oil pressure feed from the gallery direct to the turbo bearings. I don't know.

7 hours ago, mk2 said:

Check on the pressure for the oil feed to the turbo. On some engines, there's a restrictor in the supply line to the bearings to stop the seals blowing out when the oil is cold. I'm not sure you can supply the straight oil pressure feed from the gallery direct to the turbo bearings. I don't know.

Gauges galore I'm thinking about adding a separate oil pressure/temperature gauge to the supply line and will be keeping a solid eye on the ECU logs when first installed to ensure the Exhaust temps, oil pressure, intake and engine temps are all okay under the hood before sending it on the streets. 

Current slight smoke and slightly higher EGTs on the top end with a N/A injector upgrade and remapped to 90hp. Goes like stink already now especially as you hit 4k :P

• 2 months later...