Just changed a 1.4 TDI cam belt. So easy.

As per title... my first ever Lupo one. Just over an hour's work. Engine code AMF.

But used only basic tools. No pins, rods, timing clamps... just a paint mark, spanners and a socket set.

All this talk of having to make sure all the timing is set perfectly. What a load of carp.

Most difficult bit is removing the undershield. Loads of space to work compared to the other 4 cylinder engines.

The purists will be telling me, no no no, you can't do it like that (aimed at @RAB) :)

Yes you can. At the end all you need to do is check the torsion number on VCDS and adjust the cam timing if it's not 0.0 when hot. (Group 14 item 4). That's it. I actually like to set it at +0.6 to allow it to settle in to 0.0 after a running few miles. Helps if you make a note of the value before starting your work to see if the old belt has stretched (indicated by a negative number like -1.6 meaning the injection cam timing is late).

(late edit- i always take out the glow plugs when I do a diesel- easier to turn the engine and you get a chance to inspect the plugs. 2 had failed)

Edited by mk2
Tip.

Depends whether you want to set the timing accurately or not. If you do the set up with locking tools, there's a procedure for correction if the locking tools don't fit after turning the crankshaft. If you don't use locking tools there's no procedure to correct other than trial and error! Take your choice!

RAB

6 hours ago, RAB said:

Depends whether you want to set the timing accurately or not. If you do the set up with locking tools, there's a procedure for correction if the locking tools don't fit after turning the crankshaft. If you don't use locking tools there's no procedure to correct other than trial and error! Take your choice!

RAB

The weird thing is though, even when you use the locking tools - the way where you can insert and remove the pegs easily afterwards - I've found that the torsion value can be wrong. Should be 0.0. When I've used the tools (which I can't find at the mo), I've ended up +- 0.8 out. No idea why. Then I correct it manually (trial and error).

I have read on other forums (American usually), where people have experimented with different torsion value settings on the 1.9 TDI, some generate a bit more torque (and smoke), other's less torque and cleaner. I can only assume it's the plunger position relative to crank. I don't know if the ECU compensates for different torsion values, but i guess it must do, or injection timing will be out???

I like to think of torsion value as a different instantaneous slope angle as it pushes down on the injector. Steeper= more dispensed fuel for a given open injector pulse. Shallower, less fuel. A bit like VE pump timing. 

5 hours ago, C3peteo said:

I'm going to pay someone to do my sdi belt as the guide mk2 posted makes it look a right pain.

Yeah, SDI is a fair bit more involved. My least fav cam belt.