Window falling down because of loose runners

CKDenni

A few weeks ago, I was rolling the window down on the drivers side and suddenly something snapped and the window dropped down into the door. I took off the door panel and found that the two small plastic clips on the tracks had come off the window clamps. Upon further inspection, I saw that a piece had broken off on both clips.

I ordered a new pair of clamps and clips from eBay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIPS-VW-LUPO-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-REPAIR-FRONT-LEFT-NSF-PAIR-OF-2/361102620447?pageci=a58f9161-d984-43e6-ba41-94e2079067f7

The problem is that they fit very tightly on the tracks, but they slide easily off the clamps, which means that if the windows are rolled down and I shut the door, the clips come off the clamps. I tried using a pair of pliers to tighten the clamps onto the clips, but that didn't work. I'm not sure how the clips are meant to be secured onto the clamps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

s-l400.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same job on mine recently with those clips, I ended up using sand paper to widen the slot for the runner because i couldn't even slide them on..It was a bit annoying to have to do. But doing that and adding silicone grease they work 100% now.

I didn't have the issue with them falling off the clamps though, once you put them through the hole they should stay in place.

Hopefully this is helpful

Those clips like to snap and shear off, plus once they fall out once they will just keep doing that.

The ones on ebay are rubbish  - only use them if you are really desperate  - OEM are best - Rich passed on advice that manual windows have the same plastic fitting, Polo's of similar age and slightly newer share the same part, source replacements from scrap yard - target passenger side as it's more likely to have had the least abuse. 

Buried on the forum someone had listed a trick with cable ties to keep the clips in place, all they said in the post was they had fixed their problem, no description, just posted a picture of the fix, this was followed by multiple posts saying how clever the fix was... the picture link was dead.

No - it was definitely cable ties 

I can recall one of the replies saying it was clever use of them... all I could think was they may have drilled through the molded hole and put a tie through there, but that would have really weakened the plastic -  I sometimes find the random stuff I keep stored is disturbing!

Love to see your fix too Mk2

I haven't really taken a stab at the problem since I first posted about it. Up until now I've made sure to roll the window all the way up if I'm opening/closing the door.

Might have to look into that cable tie solution, however. That sounds really interesting...

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, Clodmiran said:

Sorry to hear about your window troubles! It's a bummer when stuff like that happens.Did you manage to solve the issue by now?

22 hours ago, manikan said:

It's a late reply but have you tried reaching out to the seller on eBay to see if they have any advice on how to install the clips securely? Maybe they've had other customers with the same issue.
Another option could be to take it to a mechanic or someone who specializes in car repairs. They might have more experience with this kind of thing and be able to help you out.
By the way, consider getting some car sun protection for infants like the ones they sell at https://snapshades.com/car-sun-protection-for-infants. It's always a good idea to protect your little ones from the sun when you're out driving, and those shades look pretty cool.

Hey guys.

I did indeed end up solving the issue by having my mechanic look at it. He ended up replacing the entire window regulator, however.

Unfortunately, my dear Lupo’s transmission ended up breaking two months ago. I’ve since bought a new car as it didn’t make sense having it repaired. :(