rodents gnawing away... damage!

Here's a good 'un for you unusual problem watchers (not Lupo or Arosa, but closely related...) 🙃 I bet the guys at VW design never thought of this happening!

Started up the ol' mk4 today. Very strong smell of petrol just as I was about to drive off. Hmm, "odd" me thinks. Better pop the bonnet and have a look and see what's going on...

"Holy crap!" as I dive for the ignition key to kill the engine. Only about A LITRE of petrol sprayed all over the engine.... Yeah.

Ok, so it appears that the main high pressure fuel feed from the fuel filter under the car has been bitten into, leaving a nice fine jet of petrol to spray over the entire engine bay. And while at it, decided to bite the brake fluid sensor wire clean off for good measure. How kind.

Wire is an easy fix.

How the hell do you repair the nylon fuel feed pipe other than replacing the entire thing? God, I just don't feel like going down the scrappies this week in this 30 degree heat. What fun... Never done one. I'm sure no easy job.

Any ideas, lateral thinkers out there?

knaw knaw.jpg

fuel.jpg

Edited by mk2
Can't spell "gnaw"...

Fixed. Same as a Lupo...

Simply pull it through from the rear, using the old pipe as a puller. Cut the end off the old pipe (as it has a connector moulded into it) at the back of the car. Clean, then tape the front end of the new pipe to the cut end of the old pipe.

Pull through, remove tape, reattach, plug in, sorted. Quite easy actually.