Electric window regulator

Just went out in the car and tried to wind the electric window down but heard a bit of a straining noise then it fell down and wouldn't go back up. Got the door stripped down and taken the mech out and I'm pretty sure that blue roller has snapped a bit off and the cable should wind around it. Any ideas where I can get either a repair kit or a replacement part? Should the cable that normally goes around it look like that or has it also been damaged?

IMG_20200802_200051.jpg

IMG_20200802_200309.jpg

Edited by dirk1978
  • Like 1

Right learning all the time, this mechanism is apparently the electric window regulator I assume because it regulates the opening and closing of the window rather than being an electronic regulator which is what I assumed other people were talking about.

This one seems too cheap but it does say with motor for cars with electric windows. But the photo doesn't look quite right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193484677001

Then on other places they're more expensive which would feel a bit more reassuring. Then again some of these places just overprice certain items.

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/front-window-regulator/bolk/09461400/

Has anyone bought one recently?

You've had an unusual fail for these, buy an OEM one and not a cheap one.

Likely to last longer.

I'm pretty sure I can lay my hands on a driver's side one.

It's the passenger one. ECP with the discount is £49. It says

"Replaces Regulator Provided With Original Motor With Electronic Box"

and

"without comfort function"

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/aftermarket-window-regulator-492443751

does that mean I have to swap the motor over, or is it a solid state type direct drive rather than worm gear? And is the comfort function where you can do one press opening and closing?

I'll ring VW tomorrow for a price for OEM. I go on holiday at the end of next week and I don't want to leave it with a window taped shut while I'm away 😕 

Thanks for help all

While you're away, stick a bolt in the door panel or a pair of molegrips under the glass. There's no way it can drop then. Rain is the only thing you don't want.

I'm sure I bought the track and cable assembly for about fifteen quid brand new a year back. Ebay I think. The only thing was the glass clamp was plastic, not metal. But still working as far as I know. Just swap the motor over.

The pulley that failed doesn't look original. I'm sure they're a white plastic, not blue and yellow. May have already been replaced before?

I hate leccy window jobs too. It's always the sharp panel edges that rip your wrists to pieces as you reach up inside the door. Mk4s (and related) are easier though.

That last pic is OEM, but looks like vdub must have changed the design. Different to the one I took pics of from one of my Lupo SDI window mechs (in the how-to).

Can't believe all the shredded plastic everywhere. What a mess.

I fitted the £22 eBay one (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VW-LUPO-SEAT-AROSA-PASSENGER-LEFT-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-REG-98-05/193484677001?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649) yesterday and it's actually really good.

bUbf8NUERPdnrUxEfL9gqG4Zfz9esrrwkr9L96n6f8ms2JIkRxc1cBYg9F05OVNnhcT8uy5IPIaOF7uvQdvxNikBRDDBjNRHAd7wt9eg60DzKaupNYRM4cjjl9cEqg4zxfq5vrSME1298Q-iWchhZci7oHrOZiruKNS9-9yddz5-a_dwYRxlm7lWT3ofVnyamk2LoR33o2ri8c3sPJx1Hs3l5Zlsflq50VTPibsFE_qErjaidA95zScYvppLPOaRUuBfeUCvd1d5-X2pf8vKaaIeIaH7z2Q7oDmFWULEdnXEDwcyfxWatNvjjL9RzyhZAgZaM2Vm6KsKp0lo_uI2cbyN9wgMRmTMDDtdEuZxGSAduSm2tjHZOyJ6JP-MZQwLBAi4NZkh_iNFlojrtZ_7PymDX2vQDHTlS6N1awHp7xZZeB8j0DvFqy1YLjOPgF4hwM6PRjkW-NxpZEkoTU6mC5Q5bgFH9o998lNj8qk3xIhT0UOPIAWzgRUmcbh50g1GvojLEJnYs8qNKmW-6jlcaEfUQ2gf8mMTvnOeu5hW4-dwybRpFx2kTCw-Hrh8X1JgvHQfMJcjk248hvVXMFu0Qqe6UpWH13QcO-8aU1SUoUrfN3bJKniuUUM-4SfaAVtr5t36yezkA6G-Rl8agEjFD3VJkIPBIJ9hm08CBoYsWj0ZlpTPI1AaF_rP=w1184-h888-no?authuser=0

I took my time aligning it all and it's perfect again.

Edited by dirk1978
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...