Electric window motor help

Hello,

recently replaced the regulator in my drivers side window and used the original motor. The window is very slow to go up and down, even without the glass in the regulator takes a while to go up. The motor also overheats during the process.

wondering where is best to get replacements? Other than VW who want £280 a side including discount ...

If it goes up and down slowly, even without glass, it can only be the tracks. Pull the track assembly out and have a look at the cable routing. It should be really easy to slide up and down without the motor in place. Like finger push effort- real easy.

I doubt it's the motor. See the window "how to" thing... :)

Yeah, the leccy motors are stupidly expensive from vdub. I don't think they can overheat, but the sensors shut it down if they can see that it's turning too slowly or is stopped.

Can't play the vid, but me thinks it may just need a deep clean with some brake and clutch cleaner (including the short lengths of bowden cable). Then once you've found where the sticking point is spray some lube on. I can't believe I'm telling you this as you know more than I do... :)

ah, unless the bits of plastic (sliders) that the glass mounts into are running at an angle making them jam? Seriously, they should be finger tip effort to move them without glass.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

Can't play the vid, but me thinks it may just need a deep clean with some brake and clutch cleaner (including the short lengths of bowden cable). Then once you've found where the sticking point is spray some lube on. I can't believe I'm telling you this as you know more than I do... :)

ah, unless the bits of plastic (sliders) that the glass mounts into are running at an angle making them jam? Seriously, they should be finger tip effort to move them without glass.

Aha, the window regulators are too fiddly for me! Not a problem on the rally car with polycarbonate windows.. maybe that’s the way to go lol.

I’ll do some more fiddling around with the reg and see what I can do to free it up. 

I found the best way to get the glass sitting correctly in the holders, tighten the holders to just grip but allow some movement of the glass, run the window up to align,  then tighten the bolts, if you can't reach the bolts grip the glass with your hands on both sides and push down as a helper lowers the window - 60% of the time it works every time!

12 hours ago, weslangdon said:

Fit wind ups, easier to fit, [bar a bit of drilling] they wont fail you at an inconvenient time, lighter too. Both my TDI's have manual windows now, got fed up of changing electric ones out & in again

^ that's a halfway house between sliders and lecky windows - with weight saving too

12 hours ago, LR5V said:

I found the best way to get the glass sitting correctly in the holders, tighten the holders to just grip but allow some movement of the glass, run the window up to align,  then tighten the bolts.

Good tip and it's the recommended method. It's a right pain when the window sliders aren't running parallel.

• 1 year later...

Hi. 
looking for ideas regarding passengers window problem. 
the window works perfect from drivers side switch up and down. 
from the passenger side switch, it will only go down !! 
IT IS NOT THE SWITCH !

has been like it for a while and would just like to clear it up  

it does exactly the same when applying a wire across the wiring loom terminals. 

Could it be the motor?

Does anyone  have a wiring diagram for the window switches/ motor termination plug

thanks in advance.