Lupo gti front suspension help

littlekev

Started rebuilding my from suspension tonight. Standard shocks and eibach lowering springs. Didn't need to use a spring compressor which I found strange, tightened the nut and the spring can move in the strut which doesn't feel right to me. Wondering if the struts are wrong? Does anyone have a standard front strut so that they could measure the length of the piston fully extended? This one piston is 210mm and the whole strut length is 570mm.

20200720_192349.jpg

Edited by littlekev

Even the original spring isn't under that much tension. I've just thrown my old ones away so can't measure but I'd imagine that it wouldn't really be a problem that it can move around now as long as it sits OK when it comes under load.

Edited by dirk1978

That's what I thought mk2, I bought genuine vw struts but it's the value range(JZW413031D) I was assured by the vw dealer these would fit my car but these fit every model of lupo not just the gti although they are gas filled. The eibach springs should fit every model so even if the struts are wrong they should still fit in the struts I have..

Lowered springs often don't need compressors, I can just about hold down the top cap and put the nut on by myself.

Not sure about the those shocks fitting Gti, these links do not list AVY engine working with that PN- 

https://www.oemvwshop.com/jzw413031d-shock-abs-eco-p451672/

https://vwsonline.co.uk/products/108364-trw-front-shockabsorbers-pair-jzw-413-031d?variant=12694461153382

12 hours ago, LR5V said:

Lowered springs often don't need compressors, I can just about hold down the top cap and put the nut on by myself.

Not sure about the those shocks fitting Gti, these links do not list AVY engine working with that PN- 

https://www.oemvwshop.com/jzw413031d-shock-abs-eco-p451672/

https://vwsonline.co.uk/products/108364-trw-front-shockabsorbers-pair-jzw-413-031d?variant=12694461153382

And those sites contradict each other, regarding fitment details. On one it says fits SDI, the other, not. I know for sure the SDI (what I have) is very different to GTI. And for lowering springs, just use new springs from a lighter car (like vw Derby or old polo).

Standard VW GTI front factory shock part number is 6E0 413 031 E

Eco shock JZW 413 031 D

JZW is just the designation VW uses for its four plus range of parts, shocks, brakes, starter motors, alternators etc....

Lupo GTI and 3L are designated the 6E chassis, all other Lupo's are 6X

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

JZW is just the designation VW uses for its four plus range of parts, shocks, brakes, starter motors, alternators etc....

Lupo GTI and 3L are designated the 6E chassis, all other Lupo's are 6X

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that... I'm gonna have a play at replacing JZW in front of the usual 6X0 number and see what I can find. You can swap 6X0 for 191 quite a lot too (mk2 parts).

I've ordered the proper shocks from vw and see if that solves the issue although I did speak to my mot tester and he said it wouldnt be an mot failure as long as the springs dont move with the weight of the car on them. He has seen this before plenty of times 

• 2 weeks later...