Greeting from a newbie here

AndyCS

Greetings from a newbie here,

I am a solo parent and my son recently turned 17 so looking at changing my car as RAC insurance want £1200 to add my son to my policy to learn to drive.

So, looking to change my current car to an insurance group 1 vehicle and looking at the VW Fox. My current car is a 2 ltr diesel so just wondering how the change will be for me although my current car is no sports model.

I am on a very tight budget so selling my car to get a VW Fox to share for my son & I seems the logical way to go.

We don’t do a lot of driving but live pretty rural so it’s a 16-mile round trip for groceries. Twice a month we do a motorway drive of 70 miles round trip. Wonder what the Fox is like on the motorway.

Any tips or suggestions what to look for etc. would be very welcome.

Thanks for accepting me to your forum

Andy

There are two basic Fox variants. The 1.2 three cylinder and the 1.4 model. The 1.2 is the much more economical car.

i have owned three of the 1.2 model, covering about 80k miles. They have proven to be more or less trouble free. It’s a good, practical workhorse, but built to a budget. There is plenty of front tyre noise in the cabin and performance is adequate. The gearing means that the car will go most places in 4th and 5th gear. Motorways are no problem but petrol consumption dips if you get too enthusiastic.

The only problems I had were as follows:

1. Speedo display packed up, but this was replaced under warranty.

2. Blown fuses from trying to use rear wiper in freezing weather.

3. Front washer hose leak where it meets the bonnet...design issue

4. Electronic boot catch fail

5. Electric window motor fail.

Servicing of the 1.2 is simple and dirt cheap. There is a Base and an Urban model. The latter has a few extras such as split and sliding rear seat, opening rear windows, central locking and electric windows.  As a workhorse, I personally think it takes some beating. I taught my son to drive in the Fox too. The clutch is light and the gearbox is smooth. Good basic car, with a high driving position that gives good visibility.

Good luck.

6 hours ago, AndyCS said:

Greetings from a newbie here

Welcome to club lupo :)

from what I've heard, it's cheaper to keep your own car with your insurance policy; buy any cheap, old runabout (lupo) with him as the main driver and you as an additional. The insurance group is not relevant really.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 8:04 PM, mk2 said:

Welcome to club lupo :)

from what I've heard, it's cheaper to keep your own car with your insurance policy; buy any cheap, old runabout (lupo) with him as the main driver and you as an additional. The insurance group is not relevant really.

yep the more experienced drivers you add the better it gets, even adding the wife to the daughters lupo insurance with her three points dropped the price! 

eldests first car was a 1.2 fox, she loved it, so much so that it now lives with me, awaiting a clean up, a set of brake pads and them its off on ebay it goes to a new owner 

only issues we have had are disc's and pads, front flexi pipe, boot lock motor and the power steering motor in 4 years of ownership, not bad going considering its age and that it gets used everyday