Lupo oil pressure relief/regulation

cpcpeter

Hi all, for those who have fitted an oil pressure gauge to their engines, I’ve just done this to my GTi (Swapped out the pressure switch for it and grounded the original wire out of the way) and it seems to max out at around 4 bar after 4k revs or so at 80C. Is this due to oil pressure regulation in the oil pump or a limitation of the oil pressure gauge’s location on the head? Elsawin seems to suggest pressure shouldn’t exceed 7 bar and should be greater than or equal to 2 bar at 2k revs at 80C. I’m getting very good pressure at 2k of 3 bar at 80C just that it tops out at 4 bar..

I’ll be going on track days for the GTi so want to ensure good pressure at high rpm. 

Pete. 

Yeah, you never really want to go much above 3.5 bar / 50 PSI oil pressure. I once modded an engine to up the oil pressure to about 90 PSI and kept blowing everything. Even the oil filter split. What matters is the oil pressure at idle when the engine is roasting hot. At least 20-30 PSI (2 bar). Different types of oil will give different oil pressures.

You only need two molecules of oil to separate friction surfaces...

Edited by mk2

On 6/7/2020 at 4:55 PM, cpcpeter said:

I’ve just done this to my GTi (Swapped out the pressure switch for it and grounded the original wire out of the way) 

if I am reading what you have written correctly - you have decided not to have an oil pressure sensor 

How will you get any warning of dangerously low pressure about to destroy your engine?

You need to get an oil pressure adaptor similar to below that suits your set up:

zVe3slZoybq8zUr_CQYXJGZx5R_S5jxbt8w2e22c

@LR5V Although I have removed the factory pressure switch, the aftermarket one has its own warning system incorporated into it, namely the entire face flashes red and a very loud buzzer goes off.  Fully adjustable, which is handy too.