Throttle Body Replacement Recommendation

gm_bennett@hotmail.com

Hi, first post for me. I have inherited an Arosa MK1 1.0 litre S.

I'm not sure of the engine type but it takes the larger size spark plugs and has a distributor cap.

It had a very low idle and would stall so I took it to an independent VW garage I have used for years and they updated the software in the ecu and it is much better.

It still has the odd stall and they have said that there is some wear in the throttle body so I should change it.

What make Throttle Body shoud I buy? there are so many and prices vary a lot.

All advice much welcome

DSC_0080.JPG

Well, the car has been in the family since 2004 and it had the problem pretty much from day one. Low idle and fall in revs when pulling away or trying to 

keep the revs higher. When the revs fell they would then surge and the accelarator pedal would drop under your foot it would stall too.  My sister lived with this but in November whe

I took ownership this was a problem that had to be fixed  as my school run is in stop go traffic.

I cleaned everything and exchanged all electrical consumables and a new alternator. In the end I took it in to JP Garage in Hampton Court who have looked after my

Golf gti MK2 in the past. They checked it out on the VAG computer and updated the software this has made it 90% better with correct idle.  it will still dip the revs occasionally.

They say the remaining problem is most probably the body

I've never seen a throttle body fail. Actually not true, I did once on a lawn mower.

Usually what happens is that they get gummed up and simply need a good clean and lube. The butterfly valve bearings can get sticky making precise adjustment difficult (what you need around idle).

The TPS (throttle position sensor) can fail or become loose, so it reports to the computer that the throttle is in a different postion to what it actually is, leading to wierd running- but that's easy to check with diagnostics.

My guess is that it just needs a clean. :)