Vw Lupo Problem

Josh93

Hi, 

Wondering if anyone here has any help on this problem, The car wont start, It has a full battery, So not a battery problem i dont think, we've used a jumper pack on it at the same time and it does the same thing, Tbh this is the first time ive seen it do this, Usually it does it when turning the key and start Flickering like a starter motor problem? If anyone can help and tell me where that is on the engine id appreciate it Massively, Car is a 1.4s if thats anything that can help.

Thanks any help is massively appreciated :)

Josh

Yeah, it does sound like dead battery. Have you checked the battery terminals are tight? I don't think it's the starter motor. They're pretty reliable in Lupos. 

If the battery voltage is below about 12.4 when everything is off, the battery does need a charge. Full is about 12.7v after leaving it off overnight.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately the battery wasnt the problem, i still have no idea, Ive parked it up and left it, Still thinking its the starter motor wire, Not sure how to get to it as I've heard its a pain in the a**.

So as of now nope sorry :( 

A. Try the car with jump cables on another car.

B. Take the bottom column cover off and put a 12v loop from the red wire to the red/black wire.

B should crank it without starting it.

I think might be time to remove starter if plan B from @Rich doesn't work. 

Remive sump shield

remove battery (or disconnect it, both terminals)

disocnnect starter activation wire plug

disconnect power cable from starter terminal

remove the two long bolts holding the starter motor in place

pull out starter and then see what you find.

Just thought- you could also try plan B another way, just by pulling the plug on the starter and carefully connect a wire between the plug tab inside the starter motor socket and +12v (leave the battery connected, as normal). If you hear a click, but no cranking, then almost certainly the starter has gone bye bye. If while you're holding the wire onto the tab inside the socket it clicks and keeps clicking, without cranking, then battery, power wire or earth connectio has probably failed.

Edited by mk2