Said goodbye to my faithful lupo

Stephenmacleod

More of a goodbye than a welcome post, but on tuesday I waved goodbye to my 1.7 SDi lupo. 10,000 miles, 9 months ownership, over £5,000 in takeaway deliveries it more than earned its keep. I picked it up for £400 and in that time it only wanted 2 new front tires, a couple of bulbs and the odd free/cheap repair.

It sold to a guy from dumfries way for £300. Not a bad return to be truthful. It wanted a bit of work as it had developed an oil leak, wanted fresh oil and filters anyway.

It's been replaced with an 08 plate ibiza sport pd100 that I picked up ludicrously cheap locally that wants a cv joint, 2 tyres and some discs and pads all of which have been ordered.

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice, namely rich, skezza and mk2. It was a blast and a genuinely fun car to drive and own. I'll still lurk here when I'm bored no doubt but thanks to all those that helped along the way.

Yeah, I have to agree. Probably the cheapest motoring you can get in a car on UK roads today, taking everything into account. Certainly not the most comfortable or fastest, but right up there in value for money.

It was good while it lasted and all the best. The Polo forum isn't as friendly as here, so I hope you'll miss us. One day you might look at getting another Lupo/Arosa. We might still be here... :)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Gotta love a pd 

I have a pd150 tt

I used to own a golf pd150 and it was a fantastic car.

46 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, I have to agree. Probably the cheapest motoring you can get in a car on UK roads today, taking everything into account. Certainly not the most comfortable or fastest, but right up there in value for money.

It was good while it lasted and all the best. The Polo forum isn't as friendly as here, so I hope you'll miss us. One day you might look at getting another Lupo/Arosa. We might still be here... :)

Genuinely the only reason I decided to part with it was because the boot wasnt big enough to fit delivery bags in and theyd fly about on the rear seats so I had a couple of complaints from customers about damaged food. Maybe one day 😂

On 5/30/2020 at 9:52 AM, Stephenmacleod said:

I used to own a golf pd150 and it was a fantastic car.

Genuinely the only reason I decided to part with it was because the boot wasnt big enough to fit delivery bags in and theyd fly about on the rear seats so I had a couple of complaints from customers about damaged food. Maybe one day 😂

This is brilliant. I don’t have that problem in my SDI Working for dominoes hahahahaha 

You should have just built something, kept the seats dropped and felted the whole thing.

Maybe a sealed box hooked up to a dehumidifier and a second alternator, get more tips for crispy food 

42 minutes ago, Rich said:

Maybe a sealed box hooked up to a dehumidifier and a second alternator, get more tips for crispy food 

Rich has been thinking about this, I can just tell... :)

I spent 80 odd thousand miles in mine (bought with 90k, sold with 172k) and I wouldn't change those miles/memories for the world. Yes it was slow.... yes it was irritatingly agricultural, but it was so disgustingly reliable that every time I've had a problem with a car since, BMW, Audi, etc, I've thought "uhh, never had this with the SDI". Was a great car and I probably got it wrong selling it when I did really, but we live and learn.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:32 PM, Skezza said:

I spent 80 odd thousand miles in mine (bought with 90k, sold with 172k) and I wouldn't change those miles/memories for the world. Yes it was slow.... yes it was irritatingly agricultural, but it was so disgustingly reliable that every time I've had a problem with a car since, BMW, Audi, etc, I've thought "uhh, never had this with the SDI". Was a great car and I probably got it wrong selling it when I did really, but we live and learn.

Thats good!  I had been driving my SDI around with half power for 6 months!! so if you think the standard is slow you defo didnt want to be in mine!! I have full power now and it flies around town! 

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair I've seen a few updates of her since she's gone and a bolt going into the box has snapped causing an oil/fluid leak which was the final straw for me really. I could have put the back seats down to be fair but I think I was just a bit tired of the gutlessness and it wanted a fair bit of work (new exhaust, said bolt repair, full service, front shocks and springs were goosed etc. So I would have been putting more money into it than it was worth.

It did me great for 9 months and probably 8-10k miles mostly on veg oil without letting me down. Do miss it now and then but the ibiza pd100 has been sweet as a nut. New discs and pads on her and a cv joint and she's not given me any bother in the first 1k miles. Doesn't have as much character as the lupo but I'm not getting headaches with the noise anymore and the extra poke has been a welcome bonus. 

Part of me wishes I'd went for a lupo tdi for the extra grunt but great fun to drive still. The ibiza is quick but its a bit bland, doesn't have that chuck-a-bility the lupo had. Still, for an 08 plate car for 250 quid and 150 in new tyres, cv joint and tracking I can't complain too much, considering I got 350 for the lupo (only paid 400 for it)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, Sarahs Lupo said:

Thats good!  I had been driving my SDI around with half power for 6 months!! so if you think the standard is slow you defo didnt want to be in mine!! I have full power now and it flies around town! 

Let me guess.... Bent accelerator pedal?

37 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Air intake sensor, hidden around the back of the pipe on the left? Causes a check engine light... :)

Been there, done that!

Potentially.

i got it scanned on my thread just haven’t had the chance to go back through it but pretty sure it was manifold yeah