Fox 2007 1.4 mysterious box above bonnet release leverRH drive

raining

A friend has the above car and went to release the bonnet with the lever by the door but caught something just up from the lever with the fingers and a box with lots of wiring about 5 in square. no visible numbers and looks heavy duty has dropped down, some have called it a footwell module but am unable to verify, others an ECU...but can't find anything about remove or replace and not knowing what something is  makes a google search difficult

Trying to put it back to wherever it came from is nigh impossible as no idea what it is.

There don't seem to be any fixing points.

Another friend had a go but was afraid of damaging the wiring.

Any pointers gratefully received.

I did post on here a few years ago but old profile has gone due to new computer..

• 2 weeks later...

I should be able to post one in a day or so, I wouldn't want to unplug it as it's so inaccessible I might not be able to get it back in.

I've read somewhere the Polo is the same..in the meantime this looks like the box but I can't figure out from the instructions how you put it back..

image.png.9c94e64dea544ce6c126000921762121.png

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/169586-vw-polo-diy-upgrading-bcm-body-control-module.html

According to this the ECU is in the engine compartment..

• 4 weeks later...