GTi 6 Speed Gearbox Oil

Hello all! I've been searching all over for pictures and diagrams just to check the location of the gearbox oil fill and drain holes but found it's all been deleted off here and Google hasn't helped😪

601885715_Gearboxfill.JPG.9cc598461150df781f8ce3885e2da00d.JPG1300867735_Gearboxdrain.JPG.22425ac2a4a8444cf17011b36dfba0b9.JPG

Just to clarify, the fill hole is the one I've circled in red and it's closest to the driver's side whereas the drain hole is closest to the passenger side of the car? And these are M16 security splines?

Also read a few people saying that the box will only take about 1 litre of oil when it's on flat ground so will need jacking up from the rear to tilt the car forward and then it'll take the other 1.1 litres or so if anybody can confirm whether this is always the case or it's hit and miss.

Thank you!

Yes - you have found the fill and drain - heres a clearer view of the fill point:

59y1I4.jpg

I filled mine with the box out of the Lupo, its 1.9 for 5 speed and a very annoying 2.1 litres for 6 speed

Make sure the fill can undo before doing the drain

Edited by LR5V
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, LR5V said:

its looking a bit wet down there - do you know what is leaking?

Thank you for posting a decent picture of the box!

IMG_3392.JPG.b9971240b6983bbfd877546b3b947207.JPG

It's weeping out of there which looks as though it uses a sealent gasket like the rocker cover does but this looks like an absolute ballache to change if you can confirm😂 

Actually I made an arse of the first picture! - looking at it again, my picture above is of the drain - better picture drain from the top:

xvLmAk.jpg

All my box cleaning pictures dont have anything for the engine side - nothing of the fill point!

Back to your leak - The area you highlighted should be a rubber gasket on that end cover - would have thought it unlikely to start leaking

Are you sure its gear oil? check the clutch line and slave cylinder for leaks

I'm envious as to how clean it looks😍

Box.JPG.74cd27c4b224a72565809eaf94446d3d.JPG

So it appears as though it's missing that rubber gasket... But yeah there's a few drips coming off there so believe it's box oil. That's a very good shout though checking clutch line although the Master cylinder has stayed at the same level for a while. 

Is it a can of worms if that cover was to be removed and sealed do you know?

I found this a document a while ago, its VW own guide to the box, its not technical but will give you a better idea whats inside - 6th gear and bearings:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_237_d1.pdf

I try to keep out of gearboxe internals, cant say if the cover will pull off and go back on without issue  - @mk2 is good with gearboxes, hopefully chip in - suspect you could drop the engine and box down to clear the chassis leg to pull the cover off to replace the seal with a rubber one.

Only concern is, this is a bodge done by someone who has gone in, the question is what were they doing in there and if they were content to use RVT how competent were they?

Yeah, it's only a cover... But before messing with anything, I'd clean it well and try and find where any leak is coming from. Might not be the box. :)

I'd be tempted to pull it out and have a good look through everything. Worst thing about removing boxes is the the half shafts. Everything else is easy/straight forward.

Edit- just realised we're talking about the 6 spd box... The cover is different (magnesium not pressed steel) and holds two bearings in place. When you pull it off, you need to ensure you don't twist it diagonally- it needs to come straight off so the bearings don't get damaged. Easier when warmed up a bit. Also the most common place for a leak on vdub boxes is the output flange seals (next to the diff).

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

That guide is wonderful, great find!

IMG_3009.thumb.JPG.173827dcf1d60bfc7aa19527e5a56091.JPG

I did some searching and found this, so it's them 2 bearings that you're on about on the end which I will need to be careful with? 

But yes in the meantime I'm going to give it a clean and then see if it's coming from elsewhere! Think what will end up happening is an attempt will be made to drop the box out since I don't believe the box has received much attention in its 200,000 mile life and the attention it has had looks interesting to say the least...

Thanks a lot gentlemen!

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, LR5V said:

Actually I made an arse of the first picture! - looking at it again, my picture above is of the drain - better picture drain from the top:

xvLmAk.jpg

All my box cleaning pictures dont have anything for the engine side - nothing of the fill point!

Back to your leak - The area you highlighted should be a rubber gasket on that end cover - would have thought it unlikely to start leaking

Are you sure its gear oil? check the clutch line and slave cylinder for leaks

@LR5V Sorry to drag up an old topic, do you have a part number for that rubber gasket on the end cover? And with that rubber gasket on does that prevent the need of any sealants being used as a gasket so no RTV sealants are needed additionally? Thank you!

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

I sent my box to a pro to rebuild,  try OEN 02T 301 215 - but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you very much kind sir, 02T 301 215 H looks like the one you have there! Zooming in on your picture it looks like your rebuilders used some white sealant on it as well as the rubber gasket although unlikely, am I chatting rubbish or can you confirm this? 

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

Yes - sealant on the box to bellhousing

Has sealant been applied just between the bell housing and rubber gasket but not between the rubber gasket and end cap if you know? I appreciate your help greatly! I have ordered a rubber seal now but I believe the rubber seal on yours is off another VAG group car like a Fabia 1.2, A1 1.4 TFSI or a Polo as I had a good dig to find that a lot of the more modern VAG cars had 02U or 02T boxes too. Next week I'm going to give this a good go hopefully but just RVT it if the rubber gasket doesn't go to plan.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, jackScottGTI said:

hi everyone, sorry to bring up and old thread, but my 6 speed only took about 1.3/4 litres to fill, do i need to jack the car up at the front or the back to get the remaining 0.7/8 litres in 

jacking up the back helps alot to get the rest in i found

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, Johnstanyer96 said:

Hi got a gearbox leak on the end cap does anyone know if I can use 02T 301 215 H on a 6 speed box instead of sealent

i wouldnt as there is a bearing in the end cap, sealant is your best bet