1.4 tdi tuning/potential

Stephenmacleod

Hi all.

Looking at a 1.4 tdi lupo (to accompany my SDi) and have been reading up on tuning etc. 

I'd like to set a goal to reach a safe 120-125bhp, so it is still a nice enough daily without being too stressful on the engine. I've read the turbo upgrade to go for is a fabia vrs pd130 turbo, and use 3 injectors from a pd130 (but I'm assuming you could equally use pd100/pd110/pd115 injectors considering the modest power increase. 

Anyone here gone beyond the standard 100bhp average from just a map and maybe a bigger (2.25/2.5" stainless) exhaust?

Have a look on the TDIclub.com forums under tdi power enhancements. There's a huge thread. The latest posts detail a lad with 160hp in Holland but a tuning company over there has managed 212.

Edited by yeha
Corrections.

14 minutes ago, yeha said:

Have a look on the TDIclub.com forums under tdi power enhancements. There's a huge thread. The latest posts detail a lad with 160hp in Holland but a tuning company over there has managed 212.

Way beyond where I'd like to go. I'd just want it to be as quick as a stock pd130, but still a good laugh to drive and reliable enough for daily.

Clutch is a weak point so expect slippage unless you spend on an uprated one or are pretty cautious with the torque map. With an ambitious remap on standard(ish) hardware you should get near those figures. The standard injectors if I remember right they are 465cc same as PD115 and good for approx 42hp per cylinder, that is about the limit of the turbo as well.

26 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Clutch is a weak point so expect slippage unless you spend on an uprated one or are pretty cautious with the torque map. With an ambitious remap on standard(ish) hardware you should get near those figures. The standard injectors if I remember right they are 465cc same as PD115 and good for approx 42hp per cylinder, that is about the limit of the turbo as well.

That's great news! Like I say 120bhp would be more than adequate, and the less to replace or upgrade unnecessarily the better. Any suggestions for a clutch? Guessing it will have to be a paddle clutch (shame, hate them!) Or is there an OEM fit? I know i had a vr6 clutch and g60 flywheel fitted to my polo pd100 9n, was a tad noisy mind...

so what upgrades would you recommend? I'm aware the intercooler will be fine for circa 130-140bhp) and I'll know I'll need a larger exhaust (probably going to get silencers as I want something subtle) I may still opt for the pd130 injectors if some come up reasonably priced, then just a clutch and maybe a turbo (apparantly the fabia vrs turbo would spool better but not sure how much fab work etc would be needed to fit that) and then just finding a clutch that can take the power 

Edited by Stephenmacleod