Wiring Harness for Stereo / Aerial Adaptor

I thought I'd be able to find this easily so I'm wondering what I've done wrong.

Years ago I put this in the Lupo GTI https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/fh-x700bt/support

When wiring it in I used a standard DIN to VW adaptor (I think) and I had to swap yellow and red wires but even then it didn't switch off with the ignition so I'm sure I had to find a switched live from the 12v lighter socket or something.

But the aerial has never worked. I don't think I could even fit it into anything because it was a different connection. I seem to remember needing a kit that was about £50 and I didn't want to spend that on getting radio because I don't listen to it much. 

Does this sound like **** and am I remembering it wrong? Or is there a magic wiring kit that converts a standard DIN connection to work with a 2002 GTI?

Cheers

That adapter going into the back of the radio is not the best set up - but despite this, the radio should still work - sometimes the antenna lead in the fist picture does not make a solid connection with the adapter in the second picture - some careful squeezing with pliers should tighten that up.

Test the radio works before putting the head back in, and with the lead being at 90 degrees it likes to drop off as you put the head unit back in - tape the lead to the other side of the back panel of the head and it should stay put.

• Like 1

Yeah you can get those plug-in metal plug adapters, that allow you to use modern radios with old antenna leads. Or vice versa.

oh, and on a lupo, the standard antenna head needs a power feed running up the middle of the antenna cable... There's a circuit board in the base that screws to the roof.

17 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah you can get those plug-in metal plug adapters, that allow you to use modern radios with old antenna leads. Or vice versa.

oh, and on a lupo, the standard antenna head needs a power feed running up the middle of the antenna cable... There's a circuit board in the base that screws to the roof.

Do you know of any leads or adaptors for getting the power into the aerial connection? I was getting some radio stations but not all.

• 1 month later...

Can i jump on this. I used to have my stereo working, but wanted to take it out to fit the subwoofer. 

After investigating and sticking it back in it no longer works so i think something might have shorted out.

I tried using the original and again no power. I checked the fuse on the back of the headunit and its fine and also the one i could find in the fusebox.

Are there two down in the fusebox i should check ?