Breaking GTI in Blue/Gray Anthracite

dd100

On 4/27/2020 at 7:35 PM, mk2 said:

Tell us the process... if you are allowed to?

It's all openly documented (https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk), you just have a state why you think the funding offered is not fair/realistic.  I've yet to find the outcome of the GTI submission as the process takes a while.

However, on the Brabus I did a table listing all the cars of similar spec available (not many!) and then plotted a graph - mileage v price.  I then drew a line from the mileage mine had which provided a suggested price.  The Ombudsman service I though was very communicative and fair in their decision (slightly below my suggestion).  Obviously part of the argue with the Brabus (and Lupo GTI) was there really isn't enough changing hands to allow the price guides to list realistic prices.

Clever. And irrefutable evidence :) And you could quote dealer prices instead of gumtree

From what I've seen, good average milage GTis go for about £3.5k. Mint about 5.5 and poor about 2. I guess that is why traders import them from Japan and sell for about 5. Ovepriced for an import IMO. Especially when you have to declare that it is an import on the documentation. I dunno why, but people generally don't like imports. I had a superb mk1 golf gti import from Zambia... it was mint! When I sold it, didn't get as much as I hoped.

That's rebuildable... 👍🏻

Didn't get that hot by the looks of things. The door seal rubbers are still in place. When they fall off, that's when you know it's game over.

From the residue, I'd say it started around the radio.

I'd say all the CCM wiring melted it's insulation off and fused itself together at its lumpiest point.

There was a few extra wires behind the radio though.

Everything moves freely, passenger has the bubbly corrosion but the drivers is superb and looks to have been replaced at some point.

IMG_12052020_105926_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

IMG_12052020_105916_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

IMG_12052020_105844_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

On 5/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, Rich said:

Everything moves freely, passenger has the bubbly corrosion but the drivers is superb and looks to have been replaced at some point.

IMG_12052020_105926_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

IMG_12052020_105916_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

IMG_12052020_105844_(600_x_300_pixel).jpg

How much you want mate?

edit: also, did you have the front bumper cover?

Edited by dirk1978

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, dd100 said:

It's all openly documented (https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk), you just have a state why you think the funding offered is not fair/realistic.  I've yet to find the outcome of the GTI submission as the process takes a while.

However, on the Brabus I did a table listing all the cars of similar spec available (not many!) and then plotted a graph - mileage v price.  I then drew a line from the mileage mine had which provided a suggested price.  The Ombudsman service I though was very communicative and fair in their decision (slightly below my suggestion).  Obviously part of the argue with the Brabus (and Lupo GTI) was there really isn't enough changing hands to allow the price guides to list realistic prices.

Quick update: insurance came back and offered 40% more than their initial valuation.  They said this was "based on an internal review following my complaint".  I said I still didn't agree and was pushing on with the ombudsman.  The good news is this has a ratchet effect so value cannot go down on their offer.

Will let you know the final outcome...

• 1 month later...

@Rich have you still got this? Been a while since I’ve been on here and this has been updated. 
If you have, are you willing to sell the sump pan? Looking for one seems mine has a nice little crack in and it’s leaking a little oil here and there 😩

The engine is too much of a working engine to pull bits off.

I do have a sump with a little hole in and a guy who is excellent at repairing them cheaply if you're stuck.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Rich,

I know this is a long time after you started this thread; but I wondered if you had the internal grab handle for the driver side door available. Mine snapped off a week ago and I’m not having any luck finding the part 🥺

Edited by MR55DBR
Wrong door

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 1:15 AM, MR55DBR said:

Hi Rich,

I know this is a long time after you started this thread; but I wondered if you had the internal grab handle for the driver side door available. Mine snapped off a week ago and I’m not having any luck finding the part 🥺

Is yours damped or undamped?

I may be able to help.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 12:11 AM, Silver! said:

Is yours damped or undamped?

I may be able to help.

Sorry for the late reply, only just seeing this. I managed to get one on eBay just a few days ago. Let’s see how long it lasts. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:12 AM, MR55DBR said:

Sorry for the late reply, only just seeing this. I managed to get one on eBay just a few days ago. Let’s see how long it lasts. 

🤘