Breaking GTI in Blue/Gray Anthracite

dd100

Hi all, it saddens me to say my much loved GTI ended up on fire a few weeks back.  As a category B I am now breaking the car and open to contact about parts you might need.

Quick heads up:

• The fire was in the passenger compartment and hence the (leather!) interior is gone.  
  • The firewall did it's job (in reverse) so the engine bay is fine.
  • Bonnet and front passenger wing received the the firemen's best work so are bent and broken
  • No glass in doors or boot
  • KW suspension (adjustable dampers and shocks) with a circa 40mm drop
  • G60 front callipers 
  • Customer stainless exhaust
  • Bathurst 15" alloys and good tyres

I'm going to strip the car and list some specific items but happy to take any requests for specifics.  Happy to post items during lockdown within reason!

Drop me an PM

Cheers

What a shame. What do you think was the cause of the fire? Definitely not rebuildable? Interiors always available (not usually gti though). How sad. Bet you were gutted...

Firemen thought it was an electrical fault near fuse box, no evidence of foul play.  Wiring loom and interior shot and the cost to rebuild wouldn’t work.  Even firemen said it was a shame given how clean (and recently polished!) the car was...

Gutted is an understatement

How much did you get from the insurance company? They never pay out and we all know how much it costs to get a good gti like yours. When one of my mint mk2s was nicked, even though worth about £10k, they offered me book value £300, even though I'd told them it was worth about £12k when I took out the policy. Oh, and I'd have to pay the excess of £250! In the end I didn't even put in a claim as it'd have ended up costing me more in loss of my NCB.

30 minutes ago, dirk1978 said:

How much for the suspension?

And do you have the little square clip in cover that goes near where a fog light would be for the O/S (passenger) front?

Drop me a PM with an offer on the suspension - happy to send you a photo if you send me your mobile.  Someone is looking to purchase the whole bumper assembly so can't sell the plastic cover separately (assume you mean the bit in the pic)

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 08.02.50.png

Edited by dd100

19 minutes ago, mk2 said:

How much did you get from the insurance company? They never pay out and we all know how much it costs to get a good gti like yours. When one of my mint mk2s was nicked, even though worth about £10k, they offered me book value £300, even though I'd told them it was worth about £12k when I took out the policy. Oh, and I'd have to pay the excess of £250! In the end I didn't even put in a claim as it'd have ended up costing me more in loss of my NCB.

Still arguing with them - they don't have a clue!

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Where abouts in Northumberland and what's the passenger sill like?

I'll come up and socially distance myself whilst chopping.

I'm in Morpeth, I'll sill is ok, but not perfect - drop me a PM with your number and I can send you a pic.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

Sorry for you loss. Curious how you are still arguing with insurance about value but are busy scrapping it? 

They have made a final offer which includes me keeping the car.  I have accepted but this does not prejudice me taking them to the Financial Ombudsman (which I am).  I've had the sam scenario before when my Smart Brabus Roadster Coupe was stolen, Ombudsman ruled in my favour and insurance company paid more money.  

7 hours ago, dd100 said:

They have made a final offer which includes me keeping the car.  I have accepted but this does not prejudice me taking them to the Financial Ombudsman (which I am).  I've had the sam scenario before when my Smart Brabus Roadster Coupe was stolen, Ombudsman ruled in my favour and insurance company paid more money.  

Tell us the process... if you are allowed to?