Nearside brake light not working, only when engine running

BossLady

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice, I really appreciate it. 

Basically I was advised that my nearside brake light wasn't working yet when I took it to get the bulb replaced (I know, lazy lazy!) everything was fine, all brake lights were functioning. I was then told again that it was out so while Louis was parked on my drive I used a prop to hold the brake pedal down and all brake lights were fine. I then switched the engine on and the nearside brake light isn't working. 

I've seen a few suggestions about replacing the switch at the top of the brake pedal, I'm happy to do this if it's the right fix. I'm not convinced though. 

If anyone has experienced this as well or has a different suggestion of the cause please let me know. 

Wierd one this is...

My only thought is it's something related to vibration. If it works when engine off but ignition on and with ignition off, but not when ignition on and running, must be vibration (or remote possibility of system voltage). My first thought was the power relay or ignition switch.

I think you're probably right about the brake pedal switch, which is very likely (they are known to fail in Lupos). I'd check that first (easy to get to as well). Might be the bulb, but you've tried that... :)

oh, and welcome to club lupo!

Thanks for your welcome and help mk2 😉

The reverse lights aren't working either but when I went to get brake light replaced the guy, at a national car parts shop, was really helpful as he owns a Golf of a similar age so he showed me where that switch is located so I'll get the brake and reverse light switch ordered and see how it goes.

It's lovely to know there's a Lupo club, it's amazing the amount of people who look down their noses because you're driving a car that's 20 years old.....Louis is part of the family and spits in their direction! 

Something doesn't sound right. If the reverse isn't working either, then chances are it has something to do with the light cluster. Has anyone had a look at the back light? - remove it and look at the connections and bulbs. Put all the lights on, incl indicators and see if/how they work. :)

I always feel incredibly smug driving in my little machine. I know that it costs me almost nothing to run, has super cheap insurance and is uber reliable, unlike a lot of newer cars. No-one wil steal it. It's cheap and very easy to fix and will just keep on going (if maintained). I have other cars, but this one is the daily workhorse. Originally bought as a backup car while working on one of the others, but now has somehow wheedled it's way into mainstream use. They do that to you these little Lupos....

Edit- Just have a look at some of the beautiful Lupo Gtis out there (pics on this forum). They don't look a year old and are very desirable cars now. There are many wanted ads... prices going up. (also SDI and TDI)

Edited by mk2