Replacing door lock

AMC

Hi all,

Sadly some toerag has taken a screwdriver to the door lock on my sons fox. It still works, hasn’t messed up the central locking or immobiliser activating (all done by turning the key, I gave up a long time ago trying to sync the buttons on the fob)

I have a new assembly on order and it looks quite simple to remove by undoing the t20 screw through the door and removing the whole barrel and cover.

question is, am I missing something that I need to do first as it has central locking or is it really a straight forward swap? 

Not worked on a Fox lock, but if anything like most other vdubs of that era, don't fully remove that screw. Count the number of complete turns as you're loosening it. Usually about 14. Basically, loosen it a couple of turns, then see if you can pull the lock out. No luck, try a couple more... etc.

The screw controls a rotary lock ring, like a cam lock. You only need to unscrew it enough to line up the tabs so the barrel clears it on the way in or out. If the lock ring falls out, you have to almost strip the entire door to get to it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So, how did you fix the problem? Yesterday, it happened to me, and I almost broke the key while trying to pull it out. I called my friend, who is a mechanic, and ask what is the problem with my lock. He gave me three options why I can't get my key out: 1. central locking 2. microswitches 3. broken lock. After many attempts to fix the lock by myself following my friend's instruction, I gave up. So, tomorrow I will see what locksmith woodside park can do about my lock.

Edited by DeirdreGill

On 6/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, DeirdreGill said:

So, how did you fix the problem? Yesterday, it happened to me, and I almost broke the key while trying to pull it out. I called my friend, who is a mechanic, and ask what is the problem with my lock. He gave me three options why I can't get my key out: 1. central locking 2. microswitches 3. broken lock. After many attempts to fix the lock by myself following my friend's instruction, I gave up. So, tomorrow I will see what locksmith woodside park can do about my lock.

Central locking and microswitches have nothing to do with lock barrel. You can remove it from door with key inside by loosening a single bolt, disasseble it and replace broken parts. If its just stuck, which I doubt, then you can clean it and put it back together.