Roof antenna

miodek89

The whip part has a male screw thread. It screws into the female thread on the roof base.

Mine came off quite easily. It may be seized and require grips on the male thread.

Good luck

I bought original length aerials for both my cars. They were 40mm.

The research I did suggested short stub aerials are not so effective as longer ones.

Good luck

Some lupo antenna facts:

There is a square silicone rubber seal moulded into the metal antenna bracket that bolts to the roof. The black rubber seal is basically just a trim. When you tighten up the nut on the inside, the force crushes the silicone seal against the roof sealing it perfectly. Problems only happen when salt spray starts to corrode the metal base and allows moisture to capillary around the seal. But by this time the rest of the car has probably already disolved away...

Also, for best reception on FM or AM, you need a big antenna. It is known as "effective aperture". Imagine trying to catch fog passing the antenna "stick". But the size limit is set by the frequency band. Lower frequency, longer antenna...

And, if you use a non OEM hifi unit, chances are that the antenna plug/socket is not powered. You need to supply a +ve feed to the circuit board in the antenna base. You can buy antenna power adapters to do that.

The existing Lupo antenna base will not work with DAB or DAB+ radios. Ever.

Thanks for the info.  For me, this rubber gasket on the roof broke off in several places and I just want to do something to make it look aesthetically pleasing.  Can some black silicone give?  Unless you have other ideas?  For me, the radio programs are from 90fm to 104 FM.  This 40cm bat will be ok? 

The radio is not original.  Pioneer is mounted

Ok, i can add to this also. 

Before i moved to a DAB unit i tried a shorter bee sting aerial and it didn't pick up the normal FM channels as good as the standard one. The aerial unscrews from the base till it wont unscrew no more and then holding the black base with one hand just the aerial a tug and it should release from the base. 

The normal standard aerial will NOT work with a 'splitter' for DAB, you'll need a powered aerial or one of the DAB windscreen mounted jobs.