GTI - Steering Knock/Clunk

I've read a lot of topics on this, but none seem to actually cure the issue.

So, is a knocking feeling in Lupo GTI "normal"? Is there a cure to this? Does anyone else have the same issue?

Recently changed the top mounts and it's still there. More noticeable at lower speeds but is ever present anyway. Just feels like a quick skip in the steering wheel, a knocking feeling that doesn't seem to translate to anything on the road, as in it doesn't have a negative impact.

Also seems to do it when going over speed bumps etc... Whatever it is, it's driving me mad! 

Edit: Car has also recently had new bottom arms, ball joints,  and ARB drop links

Edited by cj1

Gearbox end? What's the gear stick doing when it knocks? Can you feel anything happening? I'm just wondering if it's a rotational knock (like slop in engine mounts), or sideways, or suspension related (like cv joints running out of slide travel).

I can’t say mine used to do that - Was it doing this before the new ball joints?

have you tried isolating the side that’s doing it?  - find street with speed cushions, only bump the same side leaving the other level 

There may be something floating around in your CV catching the outer cup - I would suggest full strip out and clean, rebuild with new grease and boots - horrible job, but people have a lot of time on their hand recently

Edited by LR5V

Gearstick doing absolutely nothing. Given I can get it to do it at really low speeds I'd be very, very surprised if this was gearbox mount related. 

isolating one side sounds like a great idea. Will try and do that. 

Thanks @Rich - Never considered those an option. I'll jack the car up and take a look. I think I have some brand new powerflex ones sat around in the spares bin so will fit them and see what happens. 

Update. I investigated all parts of the suspension underneath... 

everything appeared fine with no obvious play in anything. Took the ARB bushes out and whilst certainly the original ones, they weren’t really worn at all. 

got someone (from the same household!!) to sit in the car and turn the wheel whilst I had a poke around. Nothing under the car, steering rack etc.

And then being out the car was when I saw it, the steering column column visibly moves slightly when it makes the noise. It’s coming from the steering column for sure, I’d say it’s loose somewhere in the region of the black plastics covering the ignition barrel etc..

yeah, just re-read that. That was a re-asssembly mistake.

I wonder if that little ball bearing just behind the steering wheel has worn or broken in @cj1 's car. New one to me.