Pd130 swap

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here got a pd130 swapped lupo or arosa? Assuming the easiest to convert would be a 1.4 tdi as I believe that is a trimmed down pd100. I also assume youd have to use the box from the tdi. Is a pd130 too heavy for a lupo? 

I assume with regards to ecu youd probably use the 1.9 setup.

Was thinking of ditching the SDI at the new mot time and considering an up! For fuel economy but there again a pd130 easily gets 50 to the gallon and in a 1 tonne car will have a lot more poke.

I havent but intend to. I have (or had) a PD150 lined up for this reason but sadly didnt get it before the lockdown has made it pretty much impossible for now.

Driveshafts and probably a bit of chassis leg trimming will be the biggest headache, probably worth going wide track using GTI bottom joints as well but i am only guessing, i was going to use my black tdi wreck for the trial fit before chopping anything about on another lupo. You need the N75 stuff for the turbo and might need some engine loom as well.  gearbox use a 5 speeder from a suitable TDI with decent ratios.

Later PDs use different ecu so stick to the earlier ones on same ecu type as the diesel lupos to avoid extra hassles.

Edited by Sausage
  • Thanks 1

@battlebus has in effect turned an SDI into a PD130... Don't forget that the SDI is nothing more than the 1.9 diesel engine without a turbo and a shorter crank. Same weight, better economy, less power. Lower insurance. You can run it on the 085 gearbox, but I'd advise a full box rebuild every 50k miles (and CV joints).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

@battlebus has in effect turned an SDI into a PD130... Don't forget that the SDI is nothing more than the 1.9 diesel engine without a turbo and a shorter crank. Same weight, better economy, less power. Lower insurance. You can run it on the 085 gearbox, but I'd advise a full box rebuild every 50k miles (and CV joints).

I'm assuming hes basically bolted a pd130 turbo and all the work that goes along with that then?

I wouldn't really bother with mine, it's not particularly a clean car (no major rot just its red and has a couple of battle scars) I'd probably want a mint black lupo or grey/blue arosa for that particular swap. 

The quickest and least painful way to do it, I think, would be to get an existing PD130, along with ecu, loom and sensors. Then all you need to do is swap over all the bits. I'd say maybe a couple of weekends would do it. If you really want to be clever, you could keep the same SDI block (keeping your engine number), so no-one would notice anything for insurance reasons. So you'd get a PDI 120, as the crank strokes to 1.7L, not 1.9... More than enough power.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, mk2 said:

You'd need the corresponding ECU as well right, or something like a megasquirt? The SDI ECU is an older iteration of the software.