Speedo & rev counter stopped working?

I had a search but could not find anything, hard to know what to search on.

The speedo and rev counter ( I call them clocks ?)  have stopped working on my 2001  1.0MPI

Odometer is not moving but displays, I don't think any dash lights work, when I turn on ignition I expect to see oil and battery light before starting but don't,  fuel and temperature gauges don't work, time clock is working.

The same day it didn't want to start, all the lights but no movement of starter motor, tried a few times then it started, then an hour or two later this happens, may not be related but maybe.

I connected a reader and got these codes, I deleted them and they have not come back.  

Drive by Wire-MIL Circ. Short to Ground

Malfunction Indication Light Short to Ground

Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance

I have pulled each fuse in turn and checked them an none blown, I have disconnected and reconnected the battery.

The radio now says safe, It's the original radio I thought the ECU knew the code if it were an original one.

I fitted a low mileage replacement engine a year ago

Checked all fuses, any pointers as to what to try next gratefully received.

Could it be the cluster has died? if so can I fit one from another car?

thanks Paul

Sounds like a wire or loom plug behind the cluster. Might also be a relay, but if the car runs and everything else works, points to a power wire. Could be that a positive feed to the radio is playing up or even the ignition switch (common problem). Do you get a dim lights switch light when you open the door (you should)?

8 hours ago, mk2 said:

Do you get a dim lights switch light when you open the door (you should)?

Thanks for the reply

Don't know what you mean by this^^^?

Car drives just fine and everything else works, clock works and LCD odometer displays (* although does not increase) so I'm thinking the cluster must have power.

Thanks, I'll have a poke around and see what I can measure.

I was told that speedo unit can be swapped from same model and year because it has a separate imobiliser so if I can find one at the right price I will try it.

When I open the door I don't get the lights switch illuminated if that's what you mean, never did, I can hear the fuel pump buzz briefly though.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, itchyfeet said:

Thanks, I'll have a poke around and see what I can measure.

I was told that speedo unit can be swapped from same model and year because it has a separate imobiliser so if I can find one at the right price I will try it.

When I open the door I don't get the lights switch illuminated if that's what you mean, never did, I can hear the fuel pump buzz briefly though.

This is correct. You can swap the clocks. They are modular.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Skezza,

I found a set of clocks from the same vehicle and year, swapped them today and it works now, had to clear some codes but seems good so after after a 20 mile trip

Nice not to have to use the sat nav to know what speed I'm doing

16 hours ago, itchyfeet said:

Thanks Skezza,

I found a set of clocks from the same vehicle and year, swapped them today and it works now, had to clear some codes but seems good so after after a 20 mile trip

Nice not to have to use the sat nav to know what speed I'm doing

Is your odometer low or high, you should really get it fixed.