Fresco Green Lupo - I bought one!

Ray Singh

A new issue which i need your help with please.....

The car is a 1.4 16v 2002. I have been told and shown that the vacuum pipe is cracked and when the car is switched off a loud hissing sound can be heard from this pipe. I was told that this could not be bought from anywhere other than the main dealers, so  i contacted TPS and bought one for an eye watering £130.

Went to fit it today and its wrong. My pipe goes from the Brake Servo to the inlet manifold as a single piece. The replacement pipe has an extra pipe that looks like it goes to the air box. I dont have this.

Can anyone help - or does anyone have a good version of the pipe i am after please?

Lupo Vaccum pipe.jpg

Some bells were ringing in my head when I read this... Across the entire vdub range, vw used the wrong gauge of plastic for the brake servo pipes. They split right on the joins. There have been loads of recalls, from about 98-03. Mk4 Golfs were badly affected. Even if your car is not in the date range, print out the details and photoshop it. Then go to vdub and they'll sort it for you for freeeeeeeeeee. :)

https://car-recalls.co.uk/recall/vw-lupo-brake-vacuum-supply-pipe-concern/

Thanks Mk2 - Please can i ask a question about this pipe - My car has a single pipe with one connector at the brake servo end and one connector at the inlet manifold end and some sort of valve in between.

I think that it is like this - but this is for LHD cars:

s-l500.jpg

I have just bought a replacement pipe from TPS at massive cost £130 and it has a Y piece in it and three openings. TPS Swindon have been very rude to me and are telling me that this is the right part and no return.

6vTiaCe.jpg

What should the right part look like please?

Edited by Ray Singh

LOL - fair answer, i asked for that!!

The old one is a straight pipe, but TPS and VW are telling me that it should be the part as above. I took my part back to TPS swindon and got shouted at for an hour about how they cant give refunds just because i changed my mind etc. I told them that it was the wrong part, but they were adamant that this was the right part......

Refund finally sorted. Lesson learnt - never goto TPS.

Edited by Ray Singh

£130 - wow - they have to pay for dieselgate somehow!

TBF you were lucky to get served - the went trade only a while ago - no walk in customers, all pre-ordered and pre-paid over the phone.

The bit in the middle of the pipe is a non-return valve to keep vacuum in the servo - confirm it is this line by disconnecting and capping the connection into the engine - if the noise stops it is this part.

You could  carefully cut off the pipe between servo and non-return valve and replace with non-crushable silicone & jubilee clamps - work out the diameter and get a 90 elbow - the connector at the servo will swivel.

Edited by LR5V

• 1 month later...

Thanks all - Still looking for this part - but the car seems to be running fine with the current one and some bandages!

MOT passed today - the tester commented on how clean the car is! One important fix i need to make is that the rear shocks have had it. Time to replace these!!

The Oil service light came on today - I gave the car a full service only a few hundred miles ago and didnt reset - i should be ok just to reset it. Please could someone tell me how to reset this? Will try this now -

Edited by Ray Singh
Spelling is not my strong point.