Play in rack

Usually it's just the ball joints screwed into the ends of the rack. Water can get in then rust them out. Worth checking them first... Common problem on many vdubs. Cheap to replace too. When you do replace them, just make sure the length between the contact face on the ball joint to the lock nut contact face is the same.

26 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Usually it's just the ball joints screwed into the ends of the rack. Water can get in then rust them out. Worth checking them first... Common problem on many vdubs. Cheap to replace too. When you do replace them, just make sure the length between the contact face on the ball joint to the lock nut contact face is the same.

So just check and replace the ball joints? 

The only thing that really matters is length (and thread length) and diameter. Just find some that are the same. I think they're the same bith sides, but can't remember.

They simply screw into the rack, just like big bolts. The tricky bit is unscrewing them and fitting new ones without messing up the rack. Mole grips work, but leave a scratch on the rack. And you don't want to twist the rack as it can damage the pinion and bearing. I use a few drops of thread lock before assembly as well, for added security.

People say Stilson pipe wrench or large grips - but I always struggle for space down there at the subframe - I got the proper removal tool similar to VW workshop tool, fits over the tie rod - buy it on ebay and then sell it on for a few quid less on Gumtree, try this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7pc-Universal-Inner-Tie-Rod-End-Installer-Remover-Tool-Set-Adjuster-Cars-1-2-UK/283379254256?epid=28011070848&hash=item41fab843f0:g:DbQAAOSwPc9Wz-0V

Do not try this type:

s-l400.jpg

I tried one of these before buying the tube one - my experience with this they dont bite and just skate around the nut - that piece of rubbish has sat in my tool box ever since!

The tube one just works for removal and reassembly, the 1/2 inch socket at the end of the tube is also centered on the tie rod - so accurate torque can be achieved

I just use a big spanner, possibly 30 or 32  between the subframe and wishbone.

Once it is loose it usually comes off by hand.

Why are people buying special tools and complaining about it?