Help!!!

Jessatron89

I have a 1.7 SDI (2000).

It's my first car, I absolutely love it, but ...I've suddenly started to get a knocking sound, (this is even in neutral just idling) along with a slight chirping sound, it sounds like a belt slipping perhaps? 

I've booked him to go into the garage on Wednesday, but I'm nervous we are talking a HUGE job here or the death of my lovely car. 

He's done 116,000 miles, so he's getting on a bit. 

I'm a new driver (less than 6 months) so I do occasionally make mistakes and miss a gear or stall. 

But I'm really hoping it isn't anything final, or anything that is going to cost me hundreds of pounds! 😵

He's a noisy car (always has sounded like a tank). 

But attached is a video, any sensible ideas as to what it could be causing it? 

Please be kind...

A sad gal, with a poorly car...

😔

When you get towards the front of the engine - Left side - it sounds to me like a bearing on the way out, grinding sound - most likely alternator - but I would like a second opinion

To check the alternator - the belt needs slipping off and then spin the pulley by hand - should be very little sound and spin easily - if it makes noise or difficult to turn its the bearing worn out. As you are booked into a garage they would most likely replace the whole unit  - not a difficult job, replacement alternator will be the biggest cost.

If it is not the alternator it could be the timing belt idler, or pulley bearings - in the ideal world when the timing belt gets replaced the idler and tensioner gets replaced, sometimes for cheapness people just replace the belt, leaving the expensive old parts in place, sometimes second hand car dealers do this to make the car more saleable - if it is this, just get the belt, pulley and idler replaced together, not a hard job for a good mechanic, but takes a bit longer to do than the alternator.

I would say either job will probably be between £150 to £300 - but this depends on the rate the garage charges per hour and mark up on parts, I can see your in Brizzle - inner city garages can be pricey - Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the reply, LRSV.

Much appreciated, I'm going to mothball him for a few days until the garage booking. 

I don't want to do any more damage to him if something goes entirely. 

Hopefully it'll all get sorted. 

I'm in outer Bristol, so hopefully it won't be too expensive! 😥

Sounds like all my SDIs! That slight occasional tapping is an injector, but makes no difference to normal operation.

Can't hear anything else out of the ordinary. But like @LR5V says, could be a bearing somewhere. Grinding sounds usually are.  The labour costs will be more than the parts if related to timing belt.

Welcome to club lupo :)

• Thanks 1

So I took it to the garage...he took it out for a spin, had an under bonnet check then laughed and said there was nothing wrong with it, just a dirty old diesel. 

When I drove it home it was a bit quieter, which was really annoying as I wanted him to hear it and not think I'm going mad! 🤪

Didnt charge me a penny, but said that if anything sounds worse in a few days or I'm still worried, I can bring it back. 

😄 Seems I worried for nothing. ...but I can still hear the knocking, it's still driving me mad.

I do love my SDIs. Yesterday I did 320 miles on half a tank. Phone playing all my fav tunes and heating on just right. Cruising along the motorways enjoying the scenery. The best bit- I know there aren't many cars that cost that little to own per mile (including everything) :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I do love my SDIs. Yesterday I did 320 miles on half a tank. Phone playing all my fav tunes and heating on just right. Cruising along the motorways enjoying the scenery. The best bit- I know there aren't many cars that cost that little to own per mile (including everything) :)

Only had mine few weeks and am getting no where near that mpg. I've bought an egr blanking plate and I'm going to get the inlet manifold off as i bet it's super sooty. Serviced it last week but it still struggles at around 1800 rpm.

I bought it for the mega mpg so need to sort it out.

• Sad 1

When you posted the video i thought it sounded fine but that was playing it on a laptop speakers. 

I've got some lovely rattles on my TDI, exhaust doesnt fit very well after i welded in a new flexi for the mot, the heat shield is rattling on the back box and the gearbox dog bone mount is very very soft so the engine rocks around too much to compound the exhaust problem. Am I bothered? Not enough to do anything to it until i get under it to fix something else.

There's a heat shield at the front that can rattle on the gear selector cables too, not sure if it is the same for SDI though. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 8:34 PM, Jessatron89 said:

I have a 1.7 SDI (2000).

It's my first car, I absolutely love it, but ...I've suddenly started to get a knocking sound, (this is even in neutral just idling) along with a slight chirping sound, it sounds like a belt slipping perhaps? 

I've booked him to go into the garage on Wednesday, but I'm nervous we are talking a HUGE job here or the death of my lovely car. 

He's done 116,000 miles, so he's getting on a bit. 

I'm a new driver (less than 6 months) so I do occasionally make mistakes and miss a gear or stall. 

But I'm really hoping it isn't anything final, or anything that is going to cost me hundreds of pounds! 😵

He's a noisy car (always has sounded like a tank). 

But attached is a video, any sensible ideas as to what it could be causing it? 

Please be kind...

A sad gal, with a poorly car...

😔

Sounds quite normal to me, same as the SDI I had

• Thanks 1