Lupo gti into base 1.0

Redgolf89

Hi all. First post, hope its in the right place. Looking for a bit of help. Im driving a 1.0 lupo and a crashed gti recently came up for sale

My first idea was to fix the gti but lack of parts in ireland and lack of money for expensive parts such as wings, bumper, bonnet and headlight would make it cheaper to just buy a driving gti

But if it was used as a doner would there be much to go wrong swaping the running gear into the 1.0 lupo. Im guessing the mechanical bits will bolt straight on engine, gearbox, suspension, subframe in one go. Just wondering about things like radiator in the front panel and gti wiring loom going to standard lights

Any advice would be a great help thanks

Have you already bought it? Personally, I'd say only buy a rebuildable wreck if you know exactly what to do without outside help. Same goes for doing a transplant or engine upgrade. Technically, if you're not into it, it can be very challenging. And very time consuming. And expensive...

welcome to club lupo :)

Milage is only 130000km its a jap import. It wouldnt be hard to repair just finding the right parts and then trying to clear it would be expensive part. Havent bought it yet was thinking of swaping all the bits on to the 1.0 and having a bit of fun without the tax and insurance nightmare of the gti

YjZkOWUzYmVhMzZhNWVmMTBmYWJmMzQ4NTc1ZjhkYWEdcrRSdG1RSgBorRYZgEIOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIxMjYxOTF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

MjljNTA0MDE1OGFhMTU3NWY1Y2QzZTk3ODc1YmE1Y2VmH3hvLyPn3-Hs_sOJNqz9aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDIxMjYxOTB8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Ok. It does not look too bad. But can't see the chassis rail to be certain. Bit you will need to fix

Straighten the the part that holds the wing (name is alluding me)

PAS headlight

Bumper (upper and lower)

Bumper covers

slam panel

Bonnet - the difficult bit as these are not supplied in alminumum new anyomre. so 2nd hand is the the only option.

Washerbottle (this goes behind the pas wing)

Grill and badges

Bits that "might" be salavageable - crash bar and radiator

Ok if you wanted to swap the engine between a gti and 1ltr you would the following

Rear beam (has disc brakes)

Engine

Gearbox

Front Brakes/Suspension - unsure of damage so something to consider

loom - to note the battery is in the boot. So you have to rewire it to the front or modify the boot floor

Exhaust - depends if you want the centre exit or not. I would advise go for standard rear exit as geninune new centre exit rear box is £660. But you can buy a scropian box which is cheaper

It suprises me they imported this car in the first place due to the fact it is A. damaged and  B. most Jap imports you can find have lower mileage. Although lower milage cars are not common. Jap ones can still be found.

Edited by lupo1.0se

Doesn't look that bad but as said the chassis rail will need checking out, use a steel bonnet and probably as steel wing  too, that's the easy route, how much is it, as in the UK it will always be a crashed vehicle category and have a lower value when fixed up. Rules could or likely to be different in the Republic  

Thanks for all the info and help. The car was damaged enroute from japan and is driving fine, no chassis or radiator damage. 

Hes looking 1500 for it as is. But once you repair it for probably 1000 clear it around 700 and other odds and ends its getting dear. 

I know all the panels are differant between standard and gti but how wrong would a standard front end look on the gti where the wings meet the doors and side skirt or would that work at all?

Edited by Redgolf89

If never registered here, then it's not classified as an insurance write off.... so maybe worth repairing. But you need to look at the average price of a GTi. They go for about 2.2k at the mo. Good ones for about 3.5k. Cheap, needing a lot of work about a grand. Tot up the amount of hours needed to fix it and source all the parts, plus parts prices and then see what condition it'd end up. Reckon on £60 an hour. Paint scratches and more importantly interior, are a good way to work out value.

Or,  just buy it as a parts donor and strip it. Sell off what you don't need and transplant everything you do want into the stock Lupo. But it'll still look just like a standard car, without the special curvaceous corners a Gti has.

Gti's are alot cheaper over there. The start at around 3.5k and can go as high as 6k over here. 

Id hate to break the gti over a few parts, they just look alot more finished and thought out than the standard. 

I found them parts on ebay they where already sold, would have suited me perfect. Thanks for keeping an eye out