Lupo GTI - central locking not working, remotely or manually via lock barrel

Red Devil

Hi everyone, new here, and, to pick  your brains as I’m stumped.

Lupo GTI - central locking not working,  remotely or manually via lock barrel. 

As  above, works from neither door or either remote. 

VCDS has confirmed key is talking to car, but no operation, no other fault codes present.

Drivers door lock module has been swapped for new, made no difference!  

When door is locked manually, alarm arms a gives a short SQUEAK from alarm sounder, and indicators flash. 

Can be unlocked manually, and disarmed via unlock button on key, and car can be used normally.

Metered out all wires for continuity  between the drivers door and the connectors in the footwell and all okay. Even physically checked the wires in the rubber boot in the hinge and all okay.

ANY HELP WITH ANSWERS APPRECIATED. 

Lots of posts on here regarding central locking seem to end without answers. 

Thanks, Colin 

The central locking DOES NOT  work whether via key fob remote or via manual lock/ barrel.  

All doors and have have to locked/ unlocked  manually. 

From inside the car, the armrest lock button does nothing, also if you push the door lock button down it only locks its own door individually 

The ALARM, can be disarmed via key fob once manual unlock of drivers door has taken place. 

hope this may make more sense. 

Edited by Red Devil
Additional information

Ah, you mean that the lock motors aren't working? So you can't manually lock or unlock the doors when sitting inside, using the manual door buttons? Checked the fuses? 

Or if you can manually lock/unlock, then the fault lies with the CCU box. Could just be a duff control relay inside it.

Tailgate lock works?

Edited by mk2

Yes, the lock motors don’t work, whether locked externally or internal..

the tailgate lock works, but again not as part of the central locking. 

We had considered by logic that the ccm was the only other option. 

Do you know how many of the part numbers have to match in order to get a replacement. 

Thanks 

Yeah, sounds like CCU, as it's unlikey that all the lock motors have gone to lunch at the same time...! I don't know the part number. Check on here if you can find it- https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Before sourcing another, it's worth pulling it out (under dash, low, near fuse box). Anyone have a pic where it is? @Rich? @Sausage? @Skezza? people?

Then open it up. And show me a pic- it could just be a simple relay in there. Easy to solder. Or a breakers yard? I'd check the fuses first though if you haven't already.

It works by simply pulsing the motors with a short blast of 12V +- polarity to open or -+ to lock. Real simple.

Hi mk2 and thanks for your ongoing contact. 

I have checked the fuses before, but there only appears to be one in the fuse box, or are there some hidden. 

When you replied yesterday we had already located and removed the ccm,

THAT WAS EASY 🤣🤣

the photos are attached. 

There is some discolouration on the cct board see last cct board picture. 

AB176FC2-D437-463E-B626-424953A37A1E.jpeg

7872B844-D0B7-44DE-BD45-7562BFE00EC5.jpeg

D9421EEB-7F78-4A91-AA5E-373B17F16D76.jpeg

4D876C5B-9D56-4724-95AB-F99DF9F1CDB5.jpeg

69EA12CF-3A6D-4056-9A08-B742232D79D6.jpeg

19D6700B-FE6A-4501-8EC9-B1B7F1C47EF8.jpeg

Yup, those blocks at the bottom, closest the connectors are the relays. My guess is that one of them or perhaps power to them is not working.

They are nothing special- just magnetically operated switches that open and close contacts depending on what the logic says. Unusual to go wrong, but always possible. You could try unsoldering them and testing them one by one, or if you're brave, simply connect some power to each coil while still in circuit and measure the continuity with a meter.

Yeah, I'd start on the end with discolouration :)

You might be able to get one from a breakers... but then you'd need to pair up the remotes.

Just thought I would put up a picture of the car. 

It’s a 2001,July,Y reg in flash red ,6 speed, done 116k and we’ve had it for 2 1/2 years. 

That Delorean  belongs to my youngest son , my eldest has one also. 

3C172B93-452C-4A16-A2C1-B83201E01603.jpeg

I reckon that there's only one fuse, as the electronics are short curcuit proof... 

Coukd be that a voltage regulator on that board has gone down? They're the little components with a heatsink soldered to the pcb. 3 legs one side, big single leg the other.

Nothing obvious looking at that pcb but the stains could be from damp. If these are cheap to buy then just try another one if they are pricey (for me that would be more than £25 lol) then probably worth a fiddle with it, prise the plastic cap off the relay at the end, clean the contacts and check it is working with a meter, reflow the legs and anything else that looks dry and clean off the staining if it look s like it would cause tracking.

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

He's nearer to me... :) 

They're based on old Renaults/Matras/Simcas aren't they?

It was the Peugeot/Volvo/Renault/Volvo v6, transaxle gearbox, Lotus did the chassis tuning... sounds great on paper but the stainless steel wasn’t light and the v6 underpowered, they were really slow and the reliability was terrible -the thatcher funded new plant built in Belfast did not have experienced staff, the Lupo Gti will be considerably quicker.

a company in the states bought all the old parts once John Delorean got banged up for dealing Peruvian marching powder to prop up the whole organisation,  they can actually build a new delorean

Edited by LR5V
Marching not machine!

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

It was the Peugeot/Volvo/Renault/Volvo v6, transaxle gearbox, Lotus did the chassis tuning... sounds great on paper but the stainless steel wasn’t light and the v6 underpowered, they were really slow and the reliability was terrible -the thatcher funded new plant built in Belfast did not have experienced staff, the Lupo Gti will be considerably quicker.

a company in the states bought all the old parts once John Delorean got banged up for dealing Peruvian marching powder to prop up the whole organisation,  they can actually build a new delorean

He didn't get banged up though.

Entrapment and all that....

Did they make RHD cars? That pic above... way way too low. Lupo yes, but doesn't look right on a DMC.

Renault 30 gearbox. Best ever. No question. Just like an F1 unit. Car was rubbish though. The basis of so so many kit cars, even today, if you can find a good 'un.

Just looking it the sausage link, thats a very talented owner - made his own air suspension, those wheels he designed himself!

Its aired out in the pic - and the squares in the tail lights are wider - so suspect its been stretched in photoshop to look wider

Best thing about Deloreans is you can do this with no shame:

4 hours ago, mscherryviolet said:

Why haven’t you started a “we miss cherry” thread? 

We did and you missed it.

I thought that you'd dropped of the face of the earth! Where have you been?

Not a single comment to any of my alternative meaning posts for quite a few months now....?! I do miss that :)

What are you driving nowadays? Still that A3?

Still a few people on here who no longer drive lupos but still are here just in case a perfect GTi shows up for under a grand....

(didn't really start a miss you thread, but I bet you were about to have a good search...........)