GTi rear axle removal

littlekev

Hi all, planning removing my rear axle to refurb it and will change bushes at the same time. The retaining nuts and bolts look pretty corroded. Im thinking i should just cut the bolts with a grinder/hacksaw or has anyone any better ideas? The cars in my garage so dont have the luxury of a ramp..

Nice one, the main thing is find a well fitting spanner or socket (try and find 6 sided for rusty stuff) right off the bat so as not to round it off and then make it 10x harder to remove.

I have to do mine soon as well.

Edited by Sausage

I used wurth rost off and left it for a few hours. Was amazed it came off. Got new brake lines anyway so I'll just cut them off if they dont come off. Was going to coat mounts with hammerite then silver paint before rebuilding or any other suggestions?

I trust new nuts and bolts is a given?
Source new clips for ABS cables, brake lines -  it is very likely the current ones will shatter when you try to remove them.
I sourced some really cheap mk4 brake lines for the run down the beam, they do work, but need a bend to reduce the length - they turned up and were cunifer line with stainless connections -complete bargain.   Seem to recall I posted a link a link to them in my build, but that was 18 months ago...ish!

I would go with rust converter then paint.
What bushes are you planning to use?
Getting the old bush out is fun - drill out the rubber around centre bush, hammer out centre and then carefully saw into the metal outer  - the width of the blade will release the tension.

if you chop the hoses plan how you are going to block them off, I didn’t do that and had a bit of bother bleeding mine after they had bled out completely 

bearings can be troublesome to come off - if your lucky they will come off in one go and not need replacement, I was unlucky and one split, last attempt at MOT it came out as an advisory. May be good to budget for new bearings

Yeah new bolts etc, had read about the mk 4 brake lines but wasnt too sure. If theres a big saving I'll probably go for them. Thanks for the advice, I'll update in a few weeks when I get time to get it removed and stripped. Not sure about bushes yet, standard or poly?? Cars going to be pretty much standard apart from coilovers as they are cheaper than standard setup.

Edited by littlekev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rear axle ready to be bolted back on, just a few bits to tidy up underneath. Brake lines were solid so I rubbed them down and painted them, everything else is new. Got standard suspension with eibach springs to be fitted.

20200709_172932.jpg

20200709_172949.jpg

On 7/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, littlekev said:

Rear axle ready to be bolted back on, just a few bits to tidy up underneath. Brake lines were solid so I rubbed them down and painted them, everything else is new. Got standard suspension with eibach springs to be fitted.

20200709_172932.jpg

20200709_172949.jpg

Looks amazing 

1 hour ago, LexG said:

Is it worth getting wishbones sandblasted and refitted or is it just better buying new aftermarket ones? Like Febi

depends if your going to refit with oem bushes or aftermarket like super pro. i got some aftermarket for £40 both sides with bushes in tact. 

I think it’s rear axle first with new oem bushes fitted while it’s off.

prices from VW

rear axle bushes £45.82 for the pair.

new Lupo GTI rear axle £827.27 😬

for those that are interested 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LexG said:

I think it’s rear axle first with new oem bushes fitted while it’s off.

prices from VW

rear axle bushes £45.82 for the pair.

new Lupo GTI rear axle £827.27 😬

for those that are interested 

Yep a total bargain! 6E0 500 047

• Like 1