Restoration Project

HoneyIShrunkThePolo

Hello, fellow Lupo owners!

Not too long ago I recently joined the club by purchasing my own Lupo, and found out that there's an actual community dedicated to Lupos/Arosas, which is flipping amazing!
Now, a little backstory:
I bought my Lupo back in late May of 2019, really needed a car for the summer as I wanted to go places.
I put down 500 euros for it, and the price speaks for itself.
It had everything I was looking for: Runs and Drives, good tires, barely any rust, valid TUV (MOT), electric windows, a custom stereo, air-conditioning.
But the car was neglected for the better part of 200k kilometers (120k+ miles):
- Paint is scratched and fading, the clear coat is peeling off, there's left over glue from what appears to be flower stickers.
- The interior is dirty and sticky, as if someone hauled dirt in it for a living.

Mechanically it's... alright I suppose, I found stickers from servicing, oil changes and such. No belt replacement sticker found tho.
The engine used to run fine, never broke down mid journey.
The gearbox never gave me problems,
The brakes were screaming for a replacement,
Suspension at that time was alright too.
Air-conditioning was broken, so no cool air, only hot.
Passenger side electric window wouldn't open or close.
Passenger side speaker was sort of broken.

For the entire summer it was a fantastic little car, swerving around town was just a joy, the tiny motor angrily screaming "TAKE ME SERIOUSLY"... The trip to the beach and back over 1k+ kilometres (600+ miles), wildy cheering it on to reach home, all the night drives and trying to race stock 320d's.
But sadly I had to let it go, since I started my first year of studying, I decided to leave my part-time job, from which I used to get my petrol and insurance money.
So I left it standing in the parking lot over the winter.
After failing to sell it, I'm thinking about fixing it up.

Now, I don't have much experience with fixing cars, so this is why I'm writing to You.
I'm not asking You to fix my car, but what I'm asking for is some guidance and tips...

I'll give a list of what's wrong with the car as of now:

- The engine stalls when it's cold, but if I hold it at 2k RPM until it warms up it's okay (I suspect it's the temp sensor, as the temp gauge doesn't work most of the time).
- Rear suspension I believe needs repairs, because I can see negative camber on my rear wheels, and the inside of the tires have worn off a ton.
- All 4 corners need brake replacement (But I can figure it out myself).
- Exhaust system sounds... weird, I can't describe it accurately, I guess the best I could do is wet farts (???)
- Passenger electric window won't open, but lets out a clicking noise when pressing the button.
- Air-conditioner won't blow out cold air.
- Rear hatch won't open, as if it's locked no matter what (Maybe there's a latch from the inside)

- Paint needs a refresh (I was thinking wet sanding and polishing would help, if not, I can just respray it any colour, would love to hear your thoughts what colours could work!)
- Clear coat peeling off.

Car Specs:
1999 year model.
997 cc 8 Valve Petrol Engine, 37 kW (50 HP), I think the code for the engine is AHT or AUC.

TL/DR Bought Lupo, Lupo broke down, Need fixing, see list of problems to fix above. 

I apologize for the long post, if anybody take the time to read this and reply, I tip my hat to you!

Thanks in advance!

The easy way to know what work is urgent is to take it to an inspector to look at it. A TUV I guess... Then you know which is the most important thing to fix.

Pics?! Where are you? Greece?

Welcome to club lupo :)

18 hours ago, HoneyIShrunkThePolo said:

Hello, fellow Lupo owners!

Not too long ago I recently joined the club by purchasing my own Lupo, and found out that there's an actual community dedicated to Lupos/Arosas, which is flipping amazing!
Now, a little backstory:
I bought my Lupo back in late May of 2019, really needed a car for the summer as I wanted to go places.
I put down 500 euros for it, and the price speaks for itself.
It had everything I was looking for: Runs and Drives, good tires, barely any rust, valid TUV (MOT), electric windows, a custom stereo, air-conditioning.
But the car was neglected for the better part of 200k kilometers (120k+ miles):
- Paint is scratched and fading, the clear coat is peeling off, there's left over glue from what appears to be flower stickers.
- The interior is dirty and sticky, as if someone hauled dirt in it for a living.

Mechanically it's... alright I suppose, I found stickers from servicing, oil changes and such. No belt replacement sticker found tho.
The engine used to run fine, never broke down mid journey.
The gearbox never gave me problems,
The brakes were screaming for a replacement,
Suspension at that time was alright too.
Air-conditioning was broken, so no cool air, only hot.
Passenger side electric window wouldn't open or close.
Passenger side speaker was sort of broken.

For the entire summer it was a fantastic little car, swerving around town was just a joy, the tiny motor angrily screaming "TAKE ME SERIOUSLY"... The trip to the beach and back over 1k+ kilometres (600+ miles), wildy cheering it on to reach home, all the night drives and trying to race stock 320d's.
But sadly I had to let it go, since I started my first year of studying, I decided to leave my part-time job, from which I used to get my petrol and insurance money.
So I left it standing in the parking lot over the winter.
After failing to sell it, I'm thinking about fixing it up.

Now, I don't have much experience with fixing cars, so this is why I'm writing to You.
I'm not asking You to fix my car, but what I'm asking for is some guidance and tips...

I'll give a list of what's wrong with the car as of now:

- The engine stalls when it's cold, but if I hold it at 2k RPM until it warms up it's okay (I suspect it's the temp sensor, as the temp gauge doesn't work most of the time).
- Rear suspension I believe needs repairs, because I can see negative camber on my rear wheels, and the inside of the tires have worn off a ton.
- All 4 corners need brake replacement (But I can figure it out myself).
- Exhaust system sounds... weird, I can't describe it accurately, I guess the best I could do is wet farts (???)
- Passenger electric window won't open, but lets out a clicking noise when pressing the button.
- Air-conditioner won't blow out cold air.
- Rear hatch won't open, as if it's locked no matter what (Maybe there's a latch from the inside)

- Paint needs a refresh (I was thinking wet sanding and polishing would help, if not, I can just respray it any colour, would love to hear your thoughts what colours could work!)
- Clear coat peeling off.

Car Specs:
1999 year model.
997 cc 8 Valve Petrol Engine, 37 kW (50 HP), I think the code for the engine is AHT or AUC.

TL/DR Bought Lupo, Lupo broke down, Need fixing, see list of problems to fix above. 

I apologize for the long post, if anybody take the time to read this and reply, I tip my hat to you!

Thanks in advance!

Re the rear hatch, does the key turn in the lock, if it does then its sticking and some WD40 on the key and worked in might fix it, failing that you will need to take the rear door panel off from the inside of the car and release it manually. The electric window sounds like a broken regulator, if its clicking, it suggests the motor is trying to do its job, again door panel off and replace the regulator, often its just as easy to replace the regulator with the motor still attached, you have hours of fun ahead of you