Lupo rear window mechanism broken

Supargran

UPDATE.... sorted with plumbers tape  😂.   Hi, I am new here, I’m a granny still loving my little  lupo but will have to let her go soon. She is 17 and going downhill with old age, just like me 😂👵.   The rear window handle/catch thing is broken and the window is loose.  Can anyone tell me how I can secure it? It doesnt have to open ever again. It looks fine,  but has come away from the bit on the frame.  Sorry if this is vague, I havent  clue what all the bits are called. 😂.  Cant afford a mechanic so duck tape or some putty stuff or something?   She badly needs a wash but cant put her through with a dodgy window. It would look really cool if supargran can fix it herself  😂. I learn some great stuff on forums, and Im sure someone here will help me with this ☺️ Thanks for reading 

Edited by Supargran

Hi yeah, we'll try and help you keep it running! I'm guessing you mean the rear pop out windows. If the screws have got loose, you may just need to tighten them? 

Alternatively, a precise piece of wood placed above the window to below the window. Then tie some string ir wire to the little catch that would pull the window shut, in the centre of the piece of wood. The tension will hold it in place... might need an extra pair if hands to hold it while tieing.

what version do you have? Pic?

oh, and welcome to club lupo :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks MK and Sausage. Yep, thats the bit. It looks ok not broken but there is a pin or something missing that holds the 2 bits together.  2002  auto. Mechanics love working on her, they all say what a good car they are, special edition apparently?  A guy tried to get me to let him take her away the other day for scrap,  right off my drive!  😱.  The heater direction knob is broke too, its stuck on feet so my feet are hot but windscreen is fogged. Takes forever to clear in the mornings.  Apparently its a big job so just have to put up with it. Will try find a pic, shes lovely 💕

Lovely motor! Nice.

by the sounds of it, the hinge pin has dropped out. You might be able to use a thin nail or paper clip to act as a hinge...? Try putting the window in the half open position so there is no load on the clip/hinge, align the two parts and slide in a pin... fixed!

the air box direction thing is quite straight forward to fix. Common problem in most lupos. The knob is connected to something that resembles a bicycle brake cable, where the clamp that holds it in place gets loose, then the whole thing moves, not just the cable in the middle. The screw holding the clip probably just needs tightening up.

SE lupos are worth quite a bit still. If the inside is good, maybe over £1k? Especially if after 2001 model (cheaper tax). As it's an auto, just remember to change that gearbox fluid regularly... both fluids in fact (there are two types in the auto box), and a gearbox oil filter that everyone forgets about.

Thats it, hinge pin! Will try and find something to put up in, Ive got heaps of screws and nails.   Good to know the value, the insurance policy states £350!  The mechanic said that its worth keeping. Bits keep breaking but not major ones, except the rear springs that fell off on the drive last month, both of them,  while parked on the drive 😱 . Cost £135 which I thought was good, expected much bigger bill.  Not sure I dare put oil anywhere, will book a a service, shes due one but don’t do much mileage. Thanks for your help, feeling more positive about keeping her going now. 👍😃

Edited by Supargran

That is one of the reasons that they're so popular... They hold their value, are fun to drive, have loads of character, are generally reliable, cheap to insure and run, as well as very cheap to maintain because the parts are so cheap. Brilliant! :)

Pics of the inside?

Maybe when she’s had a clean tomorrow 🤣  tax is £250 so not cheap, Its 1.4.  Would the dash have to come off to get to that direction knob? Inside is quite good, carpets a bit worn but not bad for the age. Seats are all ok. Dash is good. One cup holder is missing, its the perfect size to slot my phone in! 

Edited by Supargran
Typo

If you're really good MK2 (frank) will show you how to move it to get it stuck on the windscreen which doesn't involve taking anything out.

If you're local I'll give you a free fix on something if you're under 40.