Lupo Steering Wheel

davy26

20 hours ago, davy26 said:

Sorry Bcr, but none of my wheels retains the airbag. I'm somewhat obsessive about wanting a wheel that is aesthetically pleasing, both in terms of looks and 'feel,' and I've never used/seen one with airbag that came close! The standard Gti wheel is not too bad and I know that quite a few Lupo owners feel that fitting the 3L model makes for a nice upgrade, with a higher-quality aspect.  I think you're looking at £200-£300 for a 3L.  As with most things Lupo, many things are not readily available and may seem pricey, but if you know what you want and persist, the chase can be fun!  Good luck - I hope you'll find something that pleases you.  Regards.  David 

Thanks David, kindly forgive my lack of knowledge, looks like will have to look into getting one without the aribag then. Only thing is for those who have already changed to one without the air bag, have you had any issues when going for the mot??. In the mean time, Ill try to use the one I have until I am ready to change and maybe I'll get in touch again. Once more thanks for your quick response and advise. Although I am saying this, but I dont think it will be too long before I decide to change, the sports steering just changes it all for me, much more pleasurable to drive.  

When you buy a wheel like a Momo, you will also need to purchase a Boss kit specific to your car/model. With a Momo kit you get a resistor which will 'operate' the car's air bag warning light as if a bag was installed, (i.e. come on with ignition and then go out.)

You will hear several different opinions about the MOT requirement. Several testers I have spoken to say that they simply stick by the 'spirit' of the Test regarding original specification - if something was fitted as standard when new it should still be visually or functionally apparent.  The resistor in conjunction with the air bag warning light fulfills the requirement.  Others like to say that it's not OK and driving without an airbag is illegal - which of course it isn't.

I'd suggest you do what I did first time around - go and see the tester at the local station you intend to use, and ask him what his attitude is on this.  You might have to 'shop around' a little, but you will find one with the sensible approach.

By the way, one of the best reasons to have something like a Momo is to have an aesthetically/functionally-pleasing smaller wheel.  The Lupo does not need a great big (380mm) wheel.  I particularly like 320mm, though I know some people favour 300mm.  But be careful choosing - 300mm for instance is just a little too small for me with arthritic hands, making for rather too much effort at low, parking speeds.

Regards.

David

Thanks again David, especially for all the information and for suggesting to check with the local MOT tester. I do like the Momo, but I also liked the one you got done with the flat bottomed, which looks really good. I am going to keep a note to make sure when ready to make sure the Boss kit comes with the resistor, thanks for mentioning it. 

To pass any MOT, I've found the secret is to turn up for a test with a paper mat on the driver's footwell, a clear plastic seat cover and most essential, a clean set of overalls (with some sort of car logo on- mine's Aston Martin!). When they know you're a pro, they'll always pass it and simply mention anything that you've missed.

When I turn up for an MOT in my office clothes, incl a tie, the car ALWAYS fails on something that they coincidentally have in stock... The industry is such a racket.

• 1 month later...

Sorry Martin, that one came up in this thread incidentally and because I just wanted to see if another member might be interested.  I advertised the wheel at 

. . . and sold it promptly from there.  Apologies if I have inadvertently indicated it was still available.

With kind regards.

David

No worries, I have a spare GTI steering wheel I should send to Royal to get done, I think they quoted me around £220ish about a year back so I should get it done really!

7 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

No worries, I have a spare GTI steering wheel I should send to Royal to get done, I think they quoted me around £220ish about a year back so I should get it done really!

I think it's well worth it Martin. Royal have now done two wheels for me and I've been very happy with both - good materials, excellent workmanship and completed on-schedule.  Considering that that it's through the wheel that we have the most interaction with the car's dynamic behaviour, spending that bit more to get the very best tactile/visual characteristics is surely repaid many times over. 

With kind regards.

David