Lupo 3L tech queries

Joelog

Hello all,

I have decided that I should probably change the gear box oil on my 3L having not done so since 2013 minimum. It has the 085 box. What oil is recommended? Some say the 75/90 is too thick?

Also, my gear box is missing the inspection plugs for what looks like 2 holes with a large toothed gear visible through the larger hole. I want to plug the holes to clean the engine/ gb so I can identify where it is leaking oil from. It is currently very dirty and has been since 2013.

any assistance appreciated.

EFC2F78D-B2C9-466F-A762-A87AF03D515A.jpeg

0FF30477-8A41-44BC-A18D-7C78171CB74B.jpeg

VW list the gearbox oil as part number G 060 726 A2 which is the same as normal 085 gearbox oil. If you PM me a chassis number, I can check the quantity for you

The two holes are those over the bell housing, the "gear" being the flywheel. They should be covered with a rubber moulding. Take care not to get water in there because it might seize the clutch. Oil is about 3 to 3.5L.

RAB

Thanks Lupogtiboy, Sausage and Rab. Do any of you happen to have the part number for the rubber blanks to cover the holes? I could probably plug them with corks or similar if required. 

Thanks for all your help. I have ordered the black rubber looking double one. What transmission oil grade would you recommend for the 3L. 75/80 or 80/90? Mine is a year 2000 model with just 178k miles on it. Hardly run in....

Mk2, thanks for the link. I will try that. The G 060726 A2 (Thanks Lupogtiboy) is a 75/90 GL4 spec oil and that linked oil is a combined GL4/5 spec due to additives so useful (I can put it in my jimny gear box and diffs too)
thanks for your combined help all.

Edited by Joelog
Detail added