SDI straight pipe

Dizzy_PD

Anyone ever straight piped an SDI?

I've heard the backbox can be restrictive on it, would removing it free up some more mpg?

My main concern is noise, my downpipe has rusted away and separated, its extremely loud. If I put a straight through from manifold all the way to the rear would it still be extremely loud because it's NA? My 1.9tdi isn't that loud straight piped, but that's probably because it's turbo'd.

i know someone will have done it..

cheers

Tried it. No good.

You need a restrictive exhaust on an SDI because the cam is timed for higher back pressure to increase the torque. You'll probably get more power but less torque. Helps on turbo cars though.

10 hours ago, Dizzy_PD said:

Anyone ever straight piped an SDI?

I've heard the backbox can be restrictive on it, would removing it free up some more mpg?

My main concern is noise, my downpipe has rusted away and separated, its extremely loud. If I put a straight through from manifold all the way to the rear would it still be extremely loud because it's NA? My 1.9tdi isn't that loud straight piped, but that's probably because it's turbo'd.

i know someone will have done it..

cheers

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Tried it. No good.

You need a restrictive exhaust on an SDI because the cam is timed for higher back pressure to increase the torque. You'll probably get more power but less torque. Helps on turbo cars though.

what he said. mine appears to be straight piped and its even more gutless than usual going uphill. 
that and its effing annoying how loud it is. however if you want to swap a stock exhaust for my straight pipe, your welcome to it haha.

Haha you wouldn't want it, it's snapped in half.

Would a decat be detrimental to torque then? I've got a piece of pipe which I can weld in place of my cat to fix my issue.

this way the backbox is still one, keeping it quiet.

thanks 

• 2 months later...