Lupo valuation with faults

Chris G

Hi I am new to the forum and need some help.  I need to value and sell a lupo 1.4 Tdi for the estate of my friend.  I know the engine management light is on and it's something to do with the egr valve but I think it was replaced. The car runs nicely and has 78000 on the clock. Is it worth getting it fixed or selling with the fault. It's MOT'd to April. 

Definitely well over £1300. EGR is a quick easy (free) fix for those who know how. Fixed, probably with that very low milage for a diesel, clean and well presented, maybe as much as £1900. Nearly as much as the Gti model or the Sport.

If you're selling, please post some nice clear pics (inside and out) on the for sale page for all us enthusiasts to admire and wish we could buy it... Oh and where are you in the UK? I have enough Lupos for the time being. A few of us have only two or three and may want another.

The Tdi edition of the Lupo is more desirable than many other Lupo models because of it's low tax and amazing economy. They also last a very long time if looked after.

11 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

Colour and condition also has a bearing on the price & it most be post 2001 to qualify for £30 road tax. I think £1900 is very optimistic and as these cars can do mega miles condition is more important than mileage. 

It's black and 04 reg so qualifies for £30 tax. I don't know if that's a good colour or not 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, mk2 said:

Definitely well over £1300. EGR is a quick easy (free) fix for those who know how. Fixed, probably with that very low milage for a diesel, clean and well presented, maybe as much as £1900. Nearly as much as the Gti model or the Sport.

If you're selling, please post some nice clear pics (inside and out) on the for sale page for all us enthusiasts to admire and wish we could buy it... Oh and where are you in the UK? I have enough Lupos for the time being. A few of us have only two or three and may want another.

The Tdi edition of the Lupo is more desirable than many other Lupo models because of it's low tax and amazing economy. They also last a very long time if looked after.

Ok I have decided to get the egr problem fixed as I have just found out the car is out of MOT and it's chicken and egg. I can't get the MOT with the engine management light on and it won't sell properly without an MOT. So question do I take it to the local garage or someone advertising carbon cleaning as a specialty? Any advice? Will the clean solve the problem?  Also have checked the mileage and it's actually 116k do you think it is worth doing this? 

Edited by Chris G
Typo

Without MOT you will get £200 - £500 depending on lots of variables, with MOT you will get twice that. If you have to pay someone to sort the egr and get it thru an MOT then you have to weigh that cost in. If you can do it yourself, (take it off clean it, find any vacuum leak, clear the codes etc) then its a no brainer.

Colour, condition, extras, mileage, history, if it has all those then get it fixed.

Get the fault codes read and post them here otherwise it is just guess work.

Although if the priority is to just value and sell the Lupo then that is what you should be doing not over complicating things just to try and make them a few hundred extra quid. Stick some pics up here and you'll get more realistic answers.

It depends how valuable your time is... if you spend hours on it, would you recoup that same money doing your regular job? Two or three days hassle is worth how much? Which is why students drive cheap cars. Their time is freeeeee....

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had good news today, I went to talk to the mechanic that maintains our cars, I found out the EGR valve has been replaced but because the car is a diesel that is pre 2009 it can go through the MOT with the engine management light on. Who knew? So my plan is, put it through the MOT, hopefully pass, get the fault code read so I can sell it with a fair idea of what needs doing. Also if it passes the MOT I can run it to work and back for a couple of weeks (40 miles a day at 50-60 mph) and get everything going. Thanks for all your advice, I'll post when I'm ready to sell. 

8 hours ago, Chris G said:

UPDATE: I had good news today, I went to talk to the mechanic that maintains our cars, I found out the EGR valve has been replaced but because the car is a diesel that is pre 2009 it can go through the MOT with the engine management light on. Who knew? So my plan is, put it through the MOT, hopefully pass, get the fault code read so I can sell it with a fair idea of what needs doing. Also if it passes the MOT I can run it to work and back for a couple of weeks (40 miles a day at 50-60 mph) and get everything going. Thanks for all your advice, I'll post when I'm ready to sell. 

After a week of running it to work you'll keep it.

2 hours ago, Chris G said:

It'll just rot though 🙁

Not if you double up. Use a metalised, soft fibre lined car cover. Then cover that with a waterproof tarp. Put a tray of moisture absorbing crystals inside. Sorted. 

Just before storing, ensure the engine is hot, rev it to 3k and hold it there.Then at the same time switch ign off and give it max throttle to flush out any exhaust gases as the revs drop down. Helps stop internal engine and exhaust condensation and coats the bores with lots of oil.

7 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Not if you double up. Use a metalised, soft fibre lined car cover. Then cover that with a waterproof tarp. Put a tray of moisture absorbing crystals inside. Sorted. 

Just before storing, ensure the engine is hot, rev it to 3k and hold it there.Then at the same time switch ign off and give it max throttle to flush out any exhaust gases as the revs drop down. Helps stop internal engine and exhaust condensation and coats the bores with lots of oil.

A couple of socks with rice in them work quite well instead of crystals